"Weed Wacker" and Lawn Mower

Old 09-19-03, 05:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
"Weed Wacker" and Lawn Mower

I just recently "inherited" a Sear's 1700cc weed wacker, and a Murry riding lawn mower. Seems the last owner let a young man rebuild the carbs on each. Neither will start at the present time.
First question is, what is the proper gap for the weed wacker?
( I heard the young man say " I adjusted the gap wider for better spark"..) Second, when adjusting the air/fuel mixture on a small engine carb, do you do the base setting by screwing it all the way in, and slowly adjusting out, or screw it all the way out and slowly adjust it in? The young man said that he backed them all the way out, and then a Ό turn in, on each engine. I've never heard of a carb being adjusted this way, but I never worked on small engines either..

Thanks!

Old 09-19-03, 07:23 PM
Turn the screw all the way in and back it off about 1 1/2 turn. That should be right for you.

Old 09-19-03, 09:07 PM
So it is like any typical carb.. Thanks for the info!!

Old 09-19-03, 11:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Correct...and the plug gap should be .030" on both.

Old 09-20-03, 04:07 AM
Again, thanks for the info!! Maybe I'll be able to get the forest that's growing along my fence taken care of today!! **GRIN!**

Old 09-20-03, 02:01 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
MSA:

I had a long winded e-mail reply to this one and I lost it with "can't find server'"

Here goes:

1) Post the model # of the Sears unit and I'll tell you who made it for Sears originally and where you may be able to get the owner's manual and parts list for it free of charge. I have found this to be helpful with Sears products.

a) The first three digits of a Sears model # on a major item denotes who makes it. I'm betting yours is 257 or 358. 257 was Paramount and 358 is Poulan. Poulan, www.poulan.com (part of Electrolux) owns Paramount now.

b) Go to www.3sears.com or www.sears.com then 'parts' on the left, enter the full model # of the item and you should be able to get the owner's manual part #. That is what you need to give the OEM company for them to find it. They will likely send a photocopy. I've never been charged for any Sears instruction sheet yet.

c) The gap is likely .030" on both items, but a quick look in a Champion catalog will tell you the spark plug part # and the gap. The owner's manual will too! Keep the gap stock, don't deviate.

2) As for the Murray, you will get a manual from them if you are persistent. 1-800-251-8007 or www.murrayinc.com

Ask for David Wilson in Technical Services. They have always found my owner's manuals for me. I have gotten my 1965 Craftsman snowblower and 1979 Craftsman snowblower manuals (both were Murray made "536" model machines) for free from them. They will find it, be persistent.

Mike Merritt of this forum should be along too to offer his .02 as well. Mike and I work on a ton of small engine projects together as well.

Good luck and hope this helped you out. Yes, I post here as well. LOL.

Old 09-20-03, 03:21 PM
Joe- Thank You very much for all the information! Even if they end up being "beyond repair" I figure it's something to tinker with and learn on!! I did see on the side of the weed wacker, that they give a 50 hour usage from it.. I have no idea how many hours it's been used, but the "pack rat" in me wouldn't let it get thrown away!! LOL!

Old 09-20-03, 08:06 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No, that's 50 hours certified emission COMPLIANT . Must be a newer one in that case. There are different classes of engine compliancy with EPA regs on machines now a days. Kinda like "This vehicle is certified to be emission compliant for 5/50" on a car. .

It is likely a Poulan if it's that new. "358" prefix.

I always collect small engines. I have numerous items I have salvaged or bought cheap and brought back to life with nary some TLC. That's the name of the game .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: