Husky Mower/honda engine makes clanking noise

Old 09-20-03, 08:02 AM
Husky Mower/honda engine makes clanking noise

Hello I bought a husky mower with a Honda 5.5 engine on it start of this season. here is the exact mower Link The problem I am having is when its under any load ie mulching grass that is only an inch taller than last time I cut it or using the shoot to cut crass a couple inches tall. Once it has what I consider just a standard load it starts clanking as soon as the load is gone it sounds fine. I have inspected the underside and the drive train is fine the blade is not bent and the crank is not bent. The crank does have up and down play or movement of a 1/16th of an inch I would say. Anyway I don't recall the mower acting this way when I first got it but now it just not earning its keep. I wanted to get some opinions before I took it in for service since its still under warranty.. Also does anyone know on these mowers is there No drain plug? Do I have ot just pour out the oil via the hole that I check the oil and add oil in ? Thanks X

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-03, 11:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello X!

If the blade bolt is good and tight, I would look at the guards underneath the mower...they may be bent just close enough to the blade to hit when the engine is under a load. As for the drain plug, if it has no plug underneath the mower, then pouring it back out the dipstick tube is fine. You will probably remove more of the old oil that way anyway....I prefer doing it that way.

Let us know what you find clanging!

Old 09-21-03, 11:58 AM
Ok well I looked up the engine on Hondas website and it states you have to pour out through the dipstick hole. Good thing I checked they now recommend a 10-30 detergent oil where as I always thought mowers and small engiens used nondetergent 30w .. Anyway I changed the oil and reinspeced everything the engine is tight, the blade is tight, its not bent and isn't making contact with the deck anyware. Everything seems tight. I am wondering now that I think about it . Could there be a problem with the govenor on this engine? The reason I think that may be it. The mower starts fine and sounds good. ITs just when it gets under any load its starts bogging down then clanking. Where as I thought when it gets under more of a load the govenor should cause it to idle up to handle the load. Mind you I am talking normal mowing conditions. The grass isn't more than a inch or 2 tall since last cutting I keep a pretty well gromed yard and this just dosne't seem right.. Thanks X

Old 09-21-03, 10:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never heard a governor clank while running. I doubt that's it. The engine should maintain close RPM during use...should not drop much unless it is in some thick or really wet grass. I wish I could hear the noise. Is it a rythmic noise, or intermittent/sporadic?

Old 09-22-03, 05:50 PM
Well the noise only starts under a load. but it is rythmatic once it starts.. I emptied the oil and it looks fine it was a light tan color no metal or anything.. I dont know guess I will just take it in though I hate to wait two or three weeks to get it back.. Thanks..X

Old 09-22-03, 06:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you don't mind, let us know what it was when you get it back. A rythmic noise would be something hitting as the engine turns or the blade turns. It is probably something internal if you cannot see anything hitting around the blade area.

Old 10-17-07, 01:59 PM
i have a mower that had the same problem and it wase the fitting thet conected the blade to the mower.the fitting on the motor wase bent not the blade. the blade wase not tuching the sides at all the blade wold twist a little and with the motor vibrating the blade wold creat a rilly lowd banging as the motor ran.anyways your motor it might be the piston is making a tinging sound.check and see if the blade is loose

Old 10-17-07, 02:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
David, I think he/she checked that stuff, but in any case, the thread is over 4 years old.