lawn tractor

Old 09-21-03, 01:34 PM
lawn tractor

I have a 14.5 mtd ohv lawn tractor and am having trouble with it. I ran it for around 40 minutes with no problems and then it started to sputter and just died. tried to crank it up and it wouldn't fire up. i let it sit for 15 minutes and it fired right up ran for about 5 min and started loosing power and died. would not start right up. i let it sit for around an hour and it fired right up I cut for around 10 minutes and the cycle started again. (died and wouldn't fire up)

At the beginning of the summer I replaced the push rod and adjusted the vavles. since then I had no problems expect for one time I believe i had water in the gas. Got rid of that gas and replaced with good gas and have had no problems since until today.

Does any one have any advice. if more info is needed please let me know.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-03, 07:59 PM
You might have gas in the bottom of the carb. Loosen the screw on the bowl of the carb all the way and dump any watter out, then blow it out. When you tighten that screw back on, remember its not like any oh screw. Tighten screw all the way, then back it off about 1 1/2 turn. After you do that make sure your fuel lines are blone out too to make sure no watter in there as well. You mentioned you already put in new gass in the tank. So, all you have to do next after you get everything reasembled is add a fuel additive that will clean your carb and everything else and run the engine.

If your engine starts but does not sound quite right than you may need to adjust that screw on the bottom of carb, however, I don't think your going to have problems with it if you followed my instruction. Make sure when you add that fuel additive that you not only fill your gass tank almost all the way, but you also only put 2 ounces of that fuel additive in there. Any more than that, and your engine may not run!

Wait for a guy named who might be able to give you further advice!

Hay Cheese, do you agree with what I came up with here?

Old 09-21-03, 08:03 PM
The first thing that came to my mind was to try mowing without the gas cap on. The vent in the cap might be clogged.

Old 09-21-03, 10:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello ThomasB!

I do agree that there may well be more water in the carb. Remove the bowl and drain it and clean it and the carb if necessary, and reassemble. On this engine, there is no adjustable screw under the carb. Tighten the bowl screw, or solenoid (whichever it has) snugly to fasten the bowl. I would lean towards water first since it has happened before recently...(it's very hard to get all the water out of a fuel system once it gets in). Water from the bottom of the tank, fuel lines, and filter will eventually find its way to the bottom of the carb.

You could try loosening the cap when it begins to stall, but I don't think that's it. Try choking the engine when it begins to stall. If that doesn't help, check for spark when the engine won't start. If you have no spark, but 15 minutes later you do, then you most likely have a bad coil.

Old 09-22-03, 09:37 AM
Thanks guys, I'll give it a try and let you know what happens

Old 10-05-03, 04:00 PM
I think I found the problem with the tractor..... I do not think there was water in the gas...I drained and cleaned the bowl, took the gas line off past the in line filter and noticed that the gas wouldn.t flow freely.... as soon as i lossened the gas cap the gas poured out of the fuel line... so i put everything back together and it ran perfect...Is this a common problem? Did the cap being so tight create such a vacuum that prevented the gas from flowing freely?.......All i did was loosen the cap...can i drill a small hole in the cap to prevent this?

THanks for your help..

One more thing when ever i stopped the mower
i have a couple loud backfires...any ideas on how to prevent this?

Old 10-05-03, 07:34 PM
On the part about the gas cap. The gas cap should its own tiny hole there, if you see one clean it out with a needle. If there is no hole there than that can deffinetly be a problem. If you drill a hole make sure it is extremly small, so small you would need a needle to get through it. On the other part you will have to wait for cheese to reply.

Old 10-05-03, 10:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hey...I guess mower17 hit the nail on the head! Good job!

Yes, if the fuel cap vent is restricted, it will develop such a vacuum in the tank that the fuel will not flow to the carb. I would not drill a hole, because this vent is designed to allow air to enter, but not escape. This keeps condensation from building up in the tank and corroding the fuel system, carb, and causing problems. A drilled hole will allow air to go in and out freely. I would suggest just replacing the cap.

As for the backfiring, is there a solenoid on the bottom of the carb? If so, it is probably not shutting off when you turn the engine off. (anti-diesel/backfire solenoid). You can slow the engine down to idle before shutting it off to avoid the backfire...this goes for the carbs without the solenoid as well.

Old 10-06-03, 06:17 AM
Thanks for all the help.. There is a little electronic device on the bottom of the carb with wires connected to it...I'll try slowing the engine down before shutting down the mower..

Thanks again..

Old 10-06-03, 10:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That electric device is just a solenoid. When you unscrew it, you will see a pintle, or point that goes up and down. Make sure it moves when power and ground are applied. If not, it is stuck. If it runs, and the solenoid is stuck, it must be stuck in the down position, which doesn't happen often, so maybe it is just slow to activate and needs cleaning.

Old 10-15-03, 06:39 PM
Did you ever get this thing figured out?