old Echo chanin saw

Old 09-21-03, 02:56 PM
old Echo chanin saw

I'm trying get my old Echo CS-452 VL chain saw running(purchased in 1979). It isn't producing a spark when turned over. I've ordered a new set of point and a condenser since these have never be changed and I suspect that the condenser may he bad -- can't get much of reaction from my ohm's meter on it but I don't have any values for comparison.

Does anyone have specs for this unit? Or know where I can locate them? I'd like to check the coil and the point gap and the timing also. Twenty years is a long haul.

Any suggests would be appreciated.

thanks,

barry

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-03, 10:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Barry!

I have no specs for that unit, but I imagine you will get very high readings across the plug wire to ground. I would agree that after 24 years, the condenser and points probably need replacing.

Old 09-22-03, 01:37 PM
echo chain saw

Thanks for the help on the old Echo, Cheeze.

What would your educated guess be on breaker point gap? Anything close would be better than not knowing.

barry

Old 09-22-03, 06:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
.020" would probably be so good it would never know the difference. Make sure they are opening/closing properly, clean the contacts on the points, and see what happens. The condenser...if original, is probably weak by now. If the points look good, and you clean them and adjust them, and you still get no spark or very weak spark, then I would replace the condenser.

Old 09-23-03, 04:48 AM
points and condenser

Hi Cheeze,

I'll use the .020 figure to set the points. I went ahead and ordered both a new condenser and points set, at least I hope they are ordered. The parts people aren't sure if they're still available. If worst comes to worst I can clean up the old set but I'll have to find a condenser that will substitute.

Do you know if someone make a replacement electronic unit that would substitute for the points and condenser?

thanks,
barry

Old 09-24-03, 12:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is a solid-state unit used to replace the points. It is made by a company called ATOM. Any small engine shop should have or be able to get one for you. Make sure they get the right one for your application (the brown one). They run around $12.00.

Old 09-24-03, 06:10 AM
Electronic ignition

Cheeze,

That gadget sounds pretty handy. If I can't get the points and condenser I'll try to find one. Have you had any experiences with these? Do the work as well as the orginal points and condenser? I imagine that the environment inside that chainsaw is mighty hostile to electronics.

thanks,

barry

Old 09-24-03, 11:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have seen a few used, and have installed one or two with no complaints from the owner of the saw. I suppose it holds up well. The whole thing is encased and sealed in a thin small (about 1 inch square) chip with a wire coming out. They seem to work well enough.

Old 09-25-03, 02:24 PM
expensive Echo parts

Hi Cheeze,

Well, I got my points and condensor and I now have spark. But $18 bucks for the points and $14 for the condensorm Woh!!.

I've looked hard and long and can't locate the platium or sold gold on either but it must be there at those prices.

barry

Old 09-26-03, 04:35 AM
But $18 bucks for the points and $14 for the condensorm Woh!!.

32 bucks for points and condensor! If this is because it is an older saw, I am glad I sold the old Echo I had befor eI had to do any work on it. I just bought a plug, points and condensor for a 1972 8hp Briggs for less than 8 dollars.

Old 09-29-03, 11:11 PM
Greg C.
Visiting Guest
ATOM module

I use ATOMs in all my older engines and they work great. Much better value than the points and condenser. And easy to set up and just leave it alone.

Old 09-30-03, 11:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it going Barry! Maybe they were shipped via Rolls Royce?...

Old 10-01-03, 11:11 AM
Expensive parts

Thanks Cheese for the encouragement is getting the saw running. It is satisfying to bring these old tools back to life -- so to speak, that have served us so well yeas ago. I'm just pleased I can still get parts --- even very expensive parts.

But speaking about expensive part for old saws, the shop owner where I purchased my points and condenser told me that he had to pay over a hundred bucks for points for his old Japanense bike. I might have questioned that statement if I had not read several articles in cycle magazines cautioning used bike buyers to avoid old Janpense bikes because of the cost of replacement parts. From a comment in previous posts on the cost of points I'd say that it looks like old parts aren't necessarly expensive but old Japanese parts at least for saws and bike definitely are.

Old 10-01-03, 01:15 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Simple supply and demand. They have it, you want it . No one else makes it (in many cases).

Their usage of the parts have gone down as those parts are used in older models and have not been used for some time. Not like those parts are screaming out of their doors.

Their acquisition cost is higher (if they have to go to one of their vendors and ask for it or have it made---tooling may be worn out, broken, old, obsolete, or persons that can use it unavailable). Whole host of reasons with parts for anything as to how they come up with the prices.

I was able to order gas jets and springs/hinges/rollers for my mother's 1968 Magic Chef stove and oven. A couple of guys said, "fat chance" when I called them, but I got my OWN parts book, looked up the part #s and when I found out that Maytag still has them I shoved them in their face for their stupidity. LOL.

Takes NOTHING to look up a part, shouldn't ever say no until your books or literature say "obsolete". Even then, sometimes something else works the same. You have to be on the up and up with this stuff to know what angle to take.

Old 10-01-03, 02:15 PM
Expensive repair parts

Joe make an excellent point especially about keeping and using the parts manual. Even though the part numbers for my Echo's points and condenser are no longer "good numbers" they were the starting point for the computer's database to identify the new numbers associated with my old parts.

Its gets really tough to order the correct parts without the necessary information.

barry