little carb help,model help.

Old 09-23-03, 05:38 PM
tae
little carb help,model help.

Hi all. I have a couple questions. I have a 5 hp craftsman/Tecumseh with model number 143 375012 . This is now on a go kart.I want to be able to order parts for it from online shops or ebay, but all the Tecumseh listings are different. How do i find out what the actual Tecumseh number/make/model is?
Question 2: I had this motor sitting awhile, and did some work to it(cleaned carb and gas tank & plug) and got it working. put it on kart and had it firing up and revving really good under no load. then my recoil starter assembly broke, and i had to get a new one so it sat for a couple weeks. I added that, and put it under a load(connected the belt to the trans axle) and ran a straight pipe, and it fired up but it only ran when choke was on full, and it would die when i tried to rev it up, unless i slowly moved the choke open a tad as i revved it,but it would never fully rev, although it idled fine. I thought maybe the straight pipe might be making a difference, so i took it off and put the stock muffler back on, and now it doesn't start at all(maybe 2 seconds every 20th pull). I figure the carb is probably messed up, maybe running rich? but am not sure how to adjust it. It has an idle screw, a screw on the bottom of the bowl, and a screw in the side. Any help and any links for this would be appreciated. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-03, 07:08 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You can go to www.sears.com----> parts. Enter the engine model #. What you find there are Tecumseh part #s. Done.

Altneratively, just call Tecumseh Technical Services 262-377-2700 I believe is the # and give them the Sears # and ask for a parts list for it and owner's manual at no charge. Done.

That should do it.

Old 09-24-03, 12:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello tae!

As for the no-start problem, try removing the carb bowl and clean it out again, and clean out the small holes in the sides of the bowl screw. The adjustment of this type carb is mentioned in another thread here...here's a link: http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=144840

Old 09-24-03, 09:28 PM
tae
thanks guys! I'm gonna get a rebuild kit and follow your suggestions. After a little internet shopping using the tecumseh numbers from sears, i've got it narrowed down to a tvs/tc/ecv/or h35. I'm gonna ask the guy at sears when i go which one it is.

Old 09-26-03, 07:50 PM
smallengmatt
Visiting Guest
here is another link that may help.http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_lmfaq.html

Old 09-29-03, 11:07 PM
Greg C.
Visiting Guest
143 375012 would be in Tecumseh #'s an ECV120