Murray lawnmower leaking gas

Old 09-24-03, 06:29 AM
drb0nz
Visiting Guest
Murray lawnmower leaking gas

Help! I was cutting my grass with my 14HP 42 in Murray riding mower. I ran inside to get something to drink. When I came back and tried to crank it, it made a clink noise and would not try to turn over. I made sure that the blade was disengaged and tried different maneuvers to get it to crank, but nothing worked. When I tried to push it into the backyard, I noticed that there was a strong smell of gasoline. It looked like the gas was pouring from the carbuerator area. Also I found two wires connected to a white plastic plug-in type connector laying on the frame and not connected to anything. Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

Teresa

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-03, 08:20 PM
drb0nz

It sounds like there is some dirt in your carb. and it got between the needle and seat. Normally the carb. float would push the needle up in to the seat and stop the flow of gas. With dirt holding the needle valve open the gas fills the carb. and starts running out where ever it can. The reason it wouldn't start is because the gas ran down in to the combustion chamber and liquid won't compress like air and it locked it up.
You will have to get the carb. cleaned, replace the fuel filter and then be sure to get the oil changed. The gas will always run down in to the oil.

Roger

Old 09-24-03, 11:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Teresa!

I agree with roger...you need to clean the carburetor and replace the float needle. Then change the oil when you get the fuel leak fixed. Let us know how it goes!