Homelite String Trimmer

Old 09-27-03, 02:38 PM
Homelite String Trimmer

Hi,

I bought the trimmer at a yard sale. The UT# is mostly obliterated but what I can see looks like 76339 (?). The s/n looks like HQ1370032 (?). The label was pretty rough so these are guesses.

The problem is at high speed it does not maintain its RPM. All within five minutes it will go from running fine, to almost quit, to some speed between high RPM and low RPM, and finally sometimes it just dies. It starts up fine, idles fine, after it does its high/low/quit thing it restarts fine.

I have adjusted (as well as possible) the LO HI needles and the IDLE adjustment. I am at a loss. Other items that may be of use: new gas, level cutting angle, normal length grass, fuel/oil ratio to mfg specs.

Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-03, 07:41 PM
I would clean the carb and the fuel lines, and alos make sure your gast tank is clean as well. After cleaning everything and it still aks the same way, then you may need to buy a new spark plug. It might be not getting proper spark. These are things you can do while you wait for Cheese reply.

Old 09-27-03, 11:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Tom!

I agree that the carburetor probably needs cleaning, and most likely needs a rebuild kit. You should be able to rebuild this carb for under $10.00. Let us know how it goes and if we can help!

Old 10-03-03, 03:01 PM
Did you get it fixed?

Old 10-07-03, 07:57 PM
Sorry guys its been one of those days for a couple weeks now. I hope to get to it this week, I really do appreciate all the information and will put it to good use. I will post a reply once finished.

Oh almost forgot. Now when it sits it drains the fuel from the tank. Large oily wet spot on the carport floor. Should I look at the tank or do cracked fuel lines siphon out the fuel?

When it rains it pours!!

Old 10-08-03, 12:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It could be the tank, but more likely would be a cracked fuel line or carb problem. It may well be that when you find the source of the leak, you will find the source of your running problem.