Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

McCullugh Chain Saw, no start???

NJ

09-28-03, 08:27 AM   #1  
McCullugh Chain Saw, no start???

I picked up a McCullugh chain saw at a flee market for $20.00. Only problem is it won't start. I've partially disembled the chain saw and I know for sure that compression is fine and I'm getting plenty of fuel. So that lead me to spark. I pulled the plug and cranked the motor and it doesn't appear I'm getting any spark at all. Any way to test this further? I plan on picking up another plug to test it again. Any other areas to inspect. Thanks for the info.

Sponsored Links

09-28-03, 09:37 AM   #2  
Inspect the plug wire for splits in the wire, and also check for rust on the coil. Cheese will be able to give you better information.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-28-03, 11:26 PM   #3  
Hello June!

Are you making sure the spark plug is touching metal on the saw when you check for spark? If it isn't, it won't spark. If still no spark, try another plug. If still no spark, you will need to access the coil and remove the kill wire and recheck. If still no spark, you have a bad coil, unless this is an old saw with points.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NJ

09-29-03, 05:48 AM   #4  
Originally posted by cheese
Hello June!

Are you making sure the spark plug is touching metal on the saw when you check for spark? If it isn't, it won't spark. If still no spark, try another plug. If still no spark, you will need to access the coil and remove the kill wire and recheck. If still no spark, you have a bad coil, unless this is an old saw with points.
Cheese and Terminator20, thanks for the response.

I know for sure, the plug wasn't touching any metal when I tested it for spark. I also tried it with a new plug and no luck.

Now when you mention "kill wire" .what exactly does that mean? I removed the coil yesterday. It has 2 wire coming out of it. One is connected to the coil mounting screw and the other goes to I believe the ingnition(sorry I'm having diffuclty explaining it, I'll check when I get home tonight). I'm presumming it's one of these's wires? it that correct? Any way to tell which is which. Thanks again for the assistance.

I need to get this thing started and working, or the wife is going to have a field day on mean and complain about how I shouldn't have wasted the money.

GA

09-29-03, 06:49 PM   #5  
June,

You need to have the plug touching the frame on the saw when you check for spark. Otherwise you do not complete the circuit for the electricity. Its kind of like having a flashlight with only one battery ... the circuit cannot make.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Visiting Guest

09-29-03, 11:15 PM   #6  
Greg C.
What model of McCulloch is it?

NJ

09-30-03, 09:09 AM   #7  
Tea3803,

Thanks, never thought of it like that. I'll check it out when I get home and let you know if I'm getting spark then.

Greg,

It's a Mini-Mac 35

Once again, thanks fellas. Ecellent help.

Search this Thread