trimmer carb adjusting screws

Old 09-29-03, 12:15 AM
trimmer carb adjusting screws

Cheese, I started thinking about that poulan trimmer and it reminded me of a question I have been wanting to ask you. You know those two small plastic adjusting scews found on most trimmer carbs, well, most companies have them designed so that you can turn them only about 1/4 turn for both screws. Do these screws really make a difference? I know on lawn mowers you can turn that screw several times in both directions but these two screws barely turn and they don't effect the way the trimmer runs. I did clean the carb. Surely I must be missing something. I saw an identical setup on a homelite and the two screws barely turned on it too and they didn't effect the engine at all. Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-03, 06:45 PM
Hey Mower.

I have a Homelite and you are right about the travel on those screws. Mine go about one-half turn, but I see a difference in the adjustments. Maybe yours have been forced on the bottom out and are mashed out of shape?

Of course this is from a guy who expects that a garage sale trimmer will always have a clean carb!!

Tom

Old 09-29-03, 06:56 PM
Hi, I have seen those kind too. All you need is to bypass it. Pop the plastic thing off with a small screw driver, be careful when you do it so you don't damage anything. Once you do that you will be able to turn those screws more. Take my advice. I don't think you need to make really large adjustments. If that trimmer was running right with those plastic limmiters when it was brand new, than you most likely have the propper adjustments. If you are having a problem started that trimmer or it is not running right, then you may need to clean the carberator, and or make sure you are getting propper spark.

Old 09-29-03, 11:22 PM
One other question to add to the last one, how many pulls should it take before a trimmer gets started? I was able to start that poulan after about 10 pulls and a shot of carb cleaner. I did clean the carb well. These little trimmers are worse than large diesel tractors!!!!!!

Old 09-30-03, 11:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Mower17!

"These little trimmers are worse than large diesel tractors!!!!!!"
HAHA! They can be a real PAIN sometimes! It is correct that you can pry or pull the plastic covers off, and it is commonly done. They are there to keep people from tampering, making adjustments they shouldn't, and to keep the EPA happy. Theroetically, if everything were just right, the screws shouldn't need adjusting, but sometimes engine wear demands a little compensation from the carb and you have to adjust a little. You should be able to start a trimmer in 5 pulls or less. If it requires more, there is a problem. It is probably a carb related problem. You may need to rebuild the carb (new gaskets and diaphragm). It could also be a scored cylinder, crankcase air leak, etc...

Keep us posted! We'll help you get it going!

Old 10-01-03, 07:43 PM
Here is an update: The poulan was picked up, so now I am left with The Green Machine brush cutter and a homelite string trimmer. The green machine needs a carb kit. The homelite had several problems, first the starter mechanism that the string raps around was all chewed up where the two pawls grab it, so I changed it and now I have another problem. Those two pawls are riveted to the flywheel with a wire wrapped around them to make them spring back however, one of those wires came off and got wrapped around the shaft of the trimmer, well I attempted to wrap that wire back around the base of the pawl and it seemed to work but it was a little harder to push then the other one. After I put everything back together and I pulled the string, it didn't pull back into the starter so I took it back appart. My question is, how do I fix that little spring wire? It is bent a little differently than the other one since it came off some how. What would you do in this situation?

Old 10-01-03, 11:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You really could just wire it back out of the way. It only needs one to turn the engine. Otherwise, you might do well to just replace the flywheel with one off a junked engine if you want both pawls to work.