Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftman riding lawn mower

Visiting Guest

09-29-03, 08:12 PM   #1  
hopetofixit
Craftman riding lawn mower

Hi, I have a craftman riding lawn mower it has a B/S 16hp motor.At idle it miss fires.Tried to adjust carb and got idle to speed up but still miss fires.It has a carb limiter on the adj scrw on carb you can only go so far.looked at flywheel and was all rusty so cleaned it where the magneto p/u is and it seemed to run ok for a while but then started to miss fire again.it backfires some times.Looking for someone to help,hope some one can help me with this problem.Thank You

Sponsored Links

09-29-03, 09:09 PM   #2  
These are things I would do while you wait for Cheese to reply to your message. Clean your carberator really well. Then after you do that, it would be a good idea to replace your spark plug as well. After you do those two things, I would also remove the muffler and clean the carbon build up off of the muffler hole, and the muffler it self. After you do that put the muffler back on. Fill your gas tank with gas almost all the way then put 2 ounces of fuel additive in the gas tank. Start the engine. Let run for 5 minutes at idle speed. Come back to your mower. If it sounds great than you fixed the problem. If it still backfires, mabie your carb is not adjusted right.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-30-03, 11:57 PM   #3  
Hello hopetofixit!

Welcome to the small engine forum!

What model engine do you have? If it is a two-cylinder, I think you have water and/or trash in the carburetor. This is easy to repair. Have you tried a new plug(s)? I'll wait to see what model engine you have, and go from there.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

10-02-03, 06:10 PM   #4  
hopetofixit
dear cheese, the model number of the motor is 311707.No I have not changed the spark plug but did take it out and look at it and it looked OK. hope you can help me with this problem thank you.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-02-03, 11:26 PM   #5  
OK, that engine is a 1 cylinder OHV engine. Try a new spark plug. It takes a champion RC12YC. If that doesn't straighten it out, check the air filter. Make sure it isn't clogged. Try running the engine for a second without it and see if it runs well. If so, you need a new one. If not, remove the carb bowl and clean it out well.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread