Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

no start trimmer

09-30-03, 07:44 PM   #1  
no start trimmer

I hope this is a general enough guestion as I do not have the numbers . Homelite line trimmer ran out of gas, when refilled, no start. I drained the gas mixture in it and refilled, still no start. New plug, it fires good blue spark when checking on end of plug wire, tried pouring gas in the carb, still no start. Running good until it ran out of fuel with a friend of mine. Can't even get the thing to hit. Comments?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

09-30-03, 08:14 PM   #2  
Check to see if the carberator is getting gas from the tank. To do this, remove the bowl screw on the bowl of the carb and let the gass drain out if any, replace the screw. Crank engine for two seconds. Remove the screw again, if gas drains out than the carb is getting gas. If it does not drain, then your carb is not getting any gas. If it is getting gas, then, clean your carb really well. Make sure the tiny hole on the gas cap on your gas tank is not clogged. If it is use a needle to clean it out. When you do all these steps and are ready to fire it up make sure after you tighten the bowl screw all the way, that you have to lossen it to 1 or 1 1/2 turn before you start your engine. Do these steps and let us know.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-30-03, 11:19 PM   #3  
Hello Boman!

If you tried gas in the plug hole, and still get nothing, I would check the cylinder. Sometimes when a 2stroke runs out of gas, it runs very lean for a little while first since there is minimal gas getting into it while it runs on the last bit of gas. This could overheat and underlube the engine and score the cylinder and piston. You can pull the muffler off and look at the cylinder through the exhaust opening. If it looks scratched, it probably has lost compression enough to cause a problem. Also, while the exhaust is off, check it and the spark arrestor for clogs.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

10-01-03, 04:03 AM   #4  
When I poured gas in the carb, I thought it should at least hit and try to run. I even poured a little in the cylinder thinking it should at least hit. I did suspect the piston may have scoured. I will remove the muffler and see what it looks like in there (muffler and cylinder). Would a cracked reed valve cause this?

Thanks

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-01-03, 11:50 PM   #5  
It could, but that doesn't really happen often. Most homelites don't have reed valves though.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

10-03-03, 09:01 AM   #6  
You said that it ran out of gas with a friend of yours, using it. Is there any possibility that he put straight gas in it and tried to run it? Just a thought.

10-03-03, 04:44 PM   #7  
straight gas in

Crossed my mind too. It seems to be wetting the plug as if fouling or flooding and the cylinder looks kinda gummy toward the top. I tend to think this thing is history.

Search this Thread