Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda mower electrical problems

Visiting Guest

10-03-03, 02:37 PM   #1  
325wcoupe
Honda mower electrical problems

My honda mower model HR 214 started surging at idle a couple of months ago. I assumed I had a carb. problem. Now it won't start. I removed spark plug and it had fuel on it. Then checked for spark. No spark. I disconnected kill switch wire from coil.Still no spark. I tapped coil with screwdriver handle.Voila! Spark. I removed coil ,cleaned it and space where it mounts on engine. No difference.Coil must be tapped before engine starts when its cold.Has anyone else had a coil act this way? A new one is big bucks no return so I wanted to be sure it's the culprit before ordering a new one.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-04-03, 12:22 AM   #2  
Hello 325wcoupe!

Use a new plug when testing. Spark plugs that have been wet with gas can fail entirely, or work intermittently. If you are still having this problem with a new plug, and with the kill wire disconnected, then it sounds like your coil is bad. Let us know what you find!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

10-04-03, 09:18 PM   #3  
325wcoupe
RE:Honda electrical problems

Hey , new spark plug corrected surging problem but coil still needs to tapped before engine will fire up. Thanks cheese.

10-15-03, 06:33 PM   #4  
Did you inspect the coil theroghly to find out why you have to tap it before getting some spark?

Visiting Guest

10-15-03, 07:32 PM   #5  
325wcoupe
Nothing visibly wrong with coil. Resistence check shows 0 ohms in primary winding , should be .7-.9 , 18 ohms in secondary , should be 6.3-7.7
These specs came from small engine repair manual that lists the model as found on my crankcase.
What puzzles me is this is not how coils behave when they're on there way out according to everything I've read.

10-15-03, 10:04 PM   #6  
Interesting... Mabie Cheese can help you more with this. I am curious to what is causing that!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-15-03, 11:58 PM   #7  
If it ohms out of spec, then something is wrong with it. Are these readings from before or after you tap it? It's not terribly uncommon for these coils to go bad once they get some age on them.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

10-21-03, 07:12 PM   #8  
325wcoupe
I finally found some time to play with honda mower again. I used my timing light,powered by my car battery to confirm that failed attempts to start the mower were due to lack of juice from coil. No light from timing light unless coil was tapped sharply. Also resistence #'s given previously were before tapping. Primary winding #'s were right on immediately after coil was tapped.Secondary #'s weren't affected by tapping. I've ordered new coil.I'll let you know if this puts my Honda back in the race.
Thanks for the input!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-21-03, 08:51 PM   #9  
Anytime!

I'm sure your problems will disappear with the installation of a new coil.

God bless!

Search this Thread