Lawn Tractor Question

Old 10-03-03, 03:11 PM
sparkie
Visiting Guest
Question Scott Lawn Tractor (John Deere) Home Depot-'00

Hi There!

My Dad has a 2000 year model lawn tractor labeled Scott, built by John Deere bought at Home Depot. It has a grease port/inlet on each of the spindles, between the bearings, for the three blades. Does anyone know if it needs periodic greasing and if so, how often? Or, if it is factory lubed, permanently, then why did they have these ports on the spindels?

P.S. We got snow flurries in southern Michigan on 1 Oct. Where's the indian summer?

Thanks,
Sparky

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-03, 03:13 PM
sparkie
Visiting Guest
Scott Lawn Tractor (John Deere) Home Depot-'00

Hi There!

My Dad has a 2000 year model lawn tractor labeled Scott, built by John Deere bought at Home Depot. It has a grease port/inlet on each of the spindles, between the bearings, for the three blades. Does anyone know if it needs periodic greasing and if so, how often? Or, if it is factory lubed, permanently, then why did they have these ports on the spindels?

P.S. We got snow flurries in southern Michigan on 1 Oct. Where's the indian summer?

Thanks,
Sparky

Old 10-03-03, 05:41 PM
I will move this to small engines where you can find some appropriate help.

Old 10-04-03, 12:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Sparky!

Most of the time, these bearings are sealed, and greasing them does no good. It does no harm either, so it won't hurt anything if you do. More then likely, yours are sealed, but you could call a dealer and ask to be sure. If they aren't, I would grease them.

Old 10-04-03, 04:51 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello sparkie, if there are greae zerks on the quill housings no doubt it is intended to be greased after leaving the factory. I do my stuff in the spring before it sees much use. The bearing are probably sealed and need no grease but the spindle shaft could have spacers etc. that would benefit from lube.....Mike

Old 10-04-03, 05:47 AM
Admin Emeritus
Forums Monitor Note

For the benefit of easier reading and following along, the two seperate threads have been merged together.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically move your question to the top of the forum list.

Old 10-04-03, 06:38 AM
sparkie
Visiting Guest
Scott Lawn Tractor (John Deere) Home Depot-'00

Thanks for the replies and info. Once again, this website and participants are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

Sparkie