Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn Tractor Question

Visiting Guest

10-03-03, 03:11 PM   #1  
sparkie
Scott Lawn Tractor (John Deere) Home Depot-'00

Hi There!

My Dad has a 2000 year model lawn tractor labeled Scott, built by John Deere bought at Home Depot. It has a grease port/inlet on each of the spindles, between the bearings, for the three blades. Does anyone know if it needs periodic greasing and if so, how often? Or, if it is factory lubed, permanently, then why did they have these ports on the spindels?

P.S. We got snow flurries in southern Michigan on 1 Oct. Where's the indian summer?

Thanks,
Sparky

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-03-03, 03:13 PM   #2  
sparkie

Hi There!

My Dad has a 2000 year model lawn tractor labeled Scott, built by John Deere bought at Home Depot. It has a grease port/inlet on each of the spindles, between the bearings, for the three blades. Does anyone know if it needs periodic greasing and if so, how often? Or, if it is factory lubed, permanently, then why did they have these ports on the spindels?

P.S. We got snow flurries in southern Michigan on 1 Oct. Where's the indian summer?

Thanks,
Sparky

SC

10-03-03, 05:41 PM   #3  
I will move this to small engines where you can find some appropriate help.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-04-03, 12:09 AM   #4  
Hello Sparky!

Most of the time, these bearings are sealed, and greasing them does no good. It does no harm either, so it won't hurt anything if you do. More then likely, yours are sealed, but you could call a dealer and ask to be sure. If they aren't, I would grease them.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

10-04-03, 04:51 AM   #5  
mikejmerritt
Hello sparkie, if there are greae zerks on the quill housings no doubt it is intended to be greased after leaving the factory. I do my stuff in the spring before it sees much use. The bearing are probably sealed and need no grease but the spindle shaft could have spacers etc. that would benefit from lube.....Mike

Admin Emeritus

CAL

10-04-03, 05:47 AM   #6  
Forums Monitor Note

For the benefit of easier reading and following along, the two seperate threads have been merged together.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically move your question to the top of the forum list.

Regards and Good Luck.
Web Site Admin, Moderator Hiring Agent, Host and Forums Manager. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician. Fast, Fair, Friendly and Highly Proficient...

Don't Take Freedom For Granted. Thank A Veteran. Need an Employee? Hire a Veteran

Not only is a mind a terrible thing to waste, it's like a parachute.

It doesn't function until it's OPEN.........

Elvis. "The Sun Never Sets On A Legend."

Gun safety is using BOTH hands!

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Visiting Guest

10-04-03, 06:38 AM   #7  
sparkie

Thanks for the replies and info. Once again, this website and participants are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

Sparkie

Search this Thread