Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bent front wheel

10-04-03, 11:54 AM   #1  
Bent front wheel

Hi cheese...

I have noticed for a long time now that my right front wheel is a little bent. I have just now decided to get help with this manor. When I make the wheels straight forward and back, I notice the the wheel on the right is a little bent. These are smaller wheels than are the ones in the back. And to clarify with you, this is my Murray Rear Engine Rider. I know that they all are the same, they all have the smaller front wheels. Anyway, how do I straigten this wheel???

To be a little more spacific, I think its more like to say the right front wheel is turned a little right when I get the left wheel straight. You get the idea, I don't know any other way to explain it.

Last edited by Terminator20; 10-04-03 at 11:30 PM.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-05-03, 01:33 AM   #2  
I understand, the wheels are toed out. This mower probably has no tie rod adjustments, but if it does, it can be corrected by adjusting the tie rods. If not, you probably have either wear in the axle and tie rods, or a bent tie rod.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

10-05-03, 01:36 AM   #3  
Can you explained what a tie rod looks like and where it is located?

10-05-03, 05:24 AM   #4  
On a Murray, I doubt you will find any sort of steering adjustment. Often the wheel is merely welded in place during the final factory alignment and assembly. After mowing and hitting the fence on your left side for years and years, this wheel will toe out and eventually break off of the mower.

You might be able to force/bend the wheel and axle back into place, (but I doubt it) or you can grind the axle weld off and re-weld it back on with the proper alignment.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-05-03, 11:04 PM   #5  
The tie rod is the small rod that runs from the center of the mower, under the center of the front of the mower, that goes from the spindle/kingpin to the sector gear. There is one on each side. They are slightly larger in diameter than a pencil.

God bless!

10-05-03, 11:14 PM   #6  
Thanks Cheese, I will start checking it out. You have already taught me something new! The more I learn about these things the better!

By the way, I read and answer this forum just about as much as you do, and I always find it interesting. Infact the main topic of this past month is over Snow Blowers and Throwers. I had just today made the connection why they have been. Its almost winter time. I never owned one of those and probably never will cause I live in Washington and the worst weather we ever got here in histry would have to be 10 inches. But, usually we only get 3 to 6 inches of snow every year. I just shovle the snow away. What about you Cheese, how much snow do you usually get?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-05-03, 11:32 PM   #7  
LOL...none to amount to anything. We rarely get enough snow that you can still see it when it lands on the ground. The last time we got enough snow to actually give a white tint to things, it might have been close to 1 inch. That was over 10 years ago. I am only about 20 miles north of the Florida border.

God bless!

Search this Thread