4.5hptecumseh

Old 10-04-03, 01:56 PM
c&s kemp
Visiting Guest
Question 4.5hptecumseh

My 4.5hp tecumseh yardworks lawnmower stopped running and so i took the float cap off and cleaned it up but when trying to pull start it gasoline spews out of the exhaust(muffler) and it continues to flow until gas tank is dry??? Where did I go wrong?

Thx for settin me straight....

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-03, 01:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello c&s kemp!

Sounds like the needle fell out or is not in the fuel inlet. It should be clipped onto the float. A bad float can also do this. Let us know what you find!

Old 10-05-03, 07:04 AM
Admin Emeritus
Question More Detailed Info Requested

Hello: c&s kemp

You said the engine stopped running. Which indicates the engine had started and was running for a period of time. Did the engine suddenly stop running while mowing? Before mowing? Was the mower used to mow all season and how was it running than?

The question is how can it be determined the carb was the reason? What where the symptoms prior to the problem? Kindly explain in more detail.

The point here is to try to determine if there is and or was prior to the carb cleaning another problem which is still possible which was not associated with the original engine running problem. The carb may not have been the original problem.

As cheese indicated, you will now have to put the carb back the way it was and once agin attempt to start and run the engine. If the engine still does not run, there may be an electrical problem, spark plug problem, grounded ignition system, etc.

Small engine repair parts, generic repair manuals and additional help are all available at all local small engine repair shops and or lawn mower repair shops in your area. Shops and dealers are listed in the phone book directory.

For further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically & keeps all communications in this one thread.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Monitor & Small Engine Forum Moderator
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Old 10-05-03, 10:23 AM
c&s kemp
Visiting Guest
4.5 tecumseh

My lawnmower was working fine all season; it was however getting harder to start as the seaon went on. It took 5 or 6 primes to start instead of the usual three but than a week or so ago it just did not want to start. I checked for spark and it was fine however it did not give any indication that it was going to turnover at all.
I will try to get things back to there original state and let you know the outcome.
thanks for your quick response.

Chris

Old 10-05-03, 11:55 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Chris

Based on the updated info, the engine was getting harder to start untill now when it wouldn't start. In that case a fuel flow restriction in the carb was very likely.

Now the trick is to reassemble the carb exactly as it was prior to dismantling it including any fuel adjusting screw settings. Then reinstall the carb exactly as it was. Then retry the starting procedure.

Be sure the engine has compression while cranking. the spark plug must be installed prior to determining compression. Lets hope there is sufficient compression.

Based on the progessive hard starting, there is always the possiblity of ring and or valve wear or damage from age, etc. was causing the problems.

Neither of which is easily correctable without the special tools, service manuals, prior skills and engine repair experiences.

Old 10-15-03, 06:34 PM
Did you every get it fixed?