honing 5hp tecumseh

Old 10-05-03, 08:18 PM
smallengmatt
Visiting Guest
honing 5hp tecumseh

Hello, I have a 5HP tecumseh hs50 i think, and it is pretty severly worn blows oil smoke all the time, it was on a go-kart. Anyway if i wanted to rebuild this engine from the block is is necessary to bore or hone the cylinder? thanks for any advice
Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-03, 08:40 PM
I would tend to look at your carberator first. If there is trash in it or if it is adjusted wrong, than it can burn alot of oil and not run right. I think you should rebuild the carb first and clean carbon from muffler and the muffler hole first and replace the spark plug aswell. Once you have done all of that and it still is not running right than you can take the next step advised under Moderator "Cheese"

Old 10-05-03, 10:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Matt!

Whether it needs honing or boring depends on a few things.
1: if it is a cast iron cylinder, then yes...hone it if it is within specs, and use a set of regular steel rings (not chrome). If it is worn out of specs, or scratched badly, then boring would be necessary, but then a new piston and ring set would be needed, and you'd be money ahear just to replace the engine.

2: If it is an aluminum cylinder, honing is not desired, but sometimes it is necessary. If an aluminum cylinder looks really good, and is withing specs, use a chrome set of rings and leave the cylinder alone...maybe cut the ridge if it is bad enough.

3: If it is an aluminum cylinder, and looks like it would be within specs, but has enough surface damage to worry you, you can hone it, but go easy on it. If it has too much damage, boring would be necessary, and again, you'd be better off replacing it. The only time I like to hone an aluminum cylinder is when the engine would not be good otherwise.

Hope that helps!

The carb should not make it burn oil.

Old 10-06-03, 07:50 AM
smallengmatt
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

great! that helped a lot. Thanks!

Old 10-06-03, 10:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Anytime! Let us know how it goes!

Old 10-15-03, 06:37 PM
Hows things going?

Old 10-16-03, 11:09 AM
smallengmatt
Visiting Guest
well I haven't started yet since im still at school :-(. i'll keep you posted when i get started though! take care!
Matt