tecumseh backfire

Old 10-05-03, 11:15 PM
umpfan
Visiting Guest
Question tecumseh backfire

My 3 year old craftsman generator has a 10hp tecumseh engine. It went 2 years without being started...with fuel and manufacturer additive still in tank. I tried to start it yesterday but did not. I took carb off and found the bowl was discolored bronze as was the float. I took off the float and inlet needle. I sprayed all parts with gumout several times, used q-tips and toothpicks to clean out holes in bowl bolt and carb itself. The float did not clean well...turned green overnight. Today I lightly sanded the float with 150 sandpaper, just still copper showed through. I took air cleaner assembly off carb to ease work but cleaner mount will not go tight against carb when I reassembled. Once carb was reinstalled motor started on about 3rd pull! The governor "hunted" for idle 4 or 5 times then muffler started backfiring blue flames. Is this 1) mixture 2)muffler is lose 3)more cleaning needed, or 4) other?
There is an adjustment screw for the governor. There is also a screw or bolt about an inch or 2 under the gov screw that has a plastic cap on it. I tried turning and prying cap off with no success. What is this?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-03, 11:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello umpfan!

The backfiring is because the engine is starving for fuel. More carb cleaning is needed. Use a thin wire and make sure all 4 holes in the bowl screw are cleared out well. There are 2 holes opposing each other near the head of the screw, one closer to the end (very tiny hole...hard to see if clogged), and one down in the center.

By governor adjustment, I think, by your description, that you mean the idle speed screw. This should have nothing to do with carb performance, just the speed of the idle. It is probably fine like it is, once you get the carb straightened out.

The plastic cover you mentioned is a cover for a jet. If cleaning the bowl screw well does not help, you may need to pluck the cover out and remove the jet and clean it as well.

A set of torch tip cleaners is a very good tool for doing this work, and should be available for less than $5.00 at a welding supply store, or maybe a big hardware store.

Old 10-15-03, 06:35 PM
Did you ever get it fixed?