Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Old Craftsman Leaf Blower Won't stay running

Visiting Guest

10-07-03, 01:57 PM   #1  
shrekster
Old Craftsman Leaf Blower Won't stay running

I obtained an old Craftsman Leaf blower from a friends basement. He states that he had it running a few months ago.

When I tried to start it, I couldn't get it to even try to pop.

I am able to get a few seconds of very weak running from it if I pour the gas mix down into the carb.

I have changed the plug and put in new fuel. The tank was empty when I got it.

ANy thoughts on why it apparently isn't pulling gas from the tank?
-Shrek

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-07-03, 04:48 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Likely needs a carburetor cleanout and rebuilding. Sounds like a wasted diaphragm.

Most Sears blowers are Paramount, Weedeater or Poulan (the model # starts with 257 or 358). You can look the parts up on www.sears.com (click parts on the left). Enter the model # and the parts will come up.

Take those part #s to any small engine shop dealing in Poulan and walah, you have your parts.

Also, the old fuel is stale and varnished and may have plugged the lines too. That is why it will fire a bit with fuel in the cylinder. Usually indicative of a carburetor problem.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-08-03, 12:10 AM   #3  
Hello Shrek!

A carb problem is very likely, but when you say is runs a little, but very weak, I wonder if the exhaust is clogged. Make sure the exhaust is clear and open. Let us know what you find!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

10-08-03, 06:56 PM   #4  
shrekster
I'll check the exaust, but I'm not quite mechanical enough to take a carb apart and rebuild it. I did try some cleaning spray into the carb and plug hole, and it didn't seem to help the problem, but it did make everything shiny again. :-)

I'm certified at taking a computer apart, but mechanically I've tried my hand and found I'm not too good at it. Although, since it already isn't working, I might end up taking it apart anyways just for fun and who knows....it might work once it's cleaned and put back together.

Thanks for the help guys!
-Shrek

Search this Thread