Leaf Blower Brand Question

Old 10-12-03, 12:57 PM
Leaf Blower Brand Question

I need to buy a leaf blower (backpack) in Massa. as I have a ton of oak trees!! I hate these things. Acorns everywhere. Anyways, I am going to get one either used or new on ebay (I can save like 50 to 100 bucks). Which brands have had good reliable operation record? I am looking at :

Echo , Husqvarna, Stihl, (Maybe Redmax, and Shindaiwa too) - These 2 may be too pricey.

examples: Echo (PB-403T) or Stihl (BR340 or BR400) or Husky (145BT) example.

Which would be the best USED one to buy? Thanks:

e3

If in the wrong posting area, please moderate me.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-03, 06:31 PM
Hi there. My opinion would be a STIHL Back Pack Blower. Never had trouble with them.

Old 10-12-03, 07:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello spamman!

My personal favorites would be stihl and echo in the blower dept...stihl being #1. Most if not all Husqvarna leaf blowers I have seen were made by poulan, and rebadged as husqvarna, so be aware of this. Many of their chainsaws are this way too.

Hope that helps!

Old 10-13-03, 04:41 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Cheese brings up a problem that is getting worse as time goes by and that is the high end yard and garden tool makers selling their good name. One could go to Lowes and buy 3 weedeaters, a Bolens, Cub Cadet and a Troy Bilt. Prices in order, 129.00, 149.00 and 179.00. A peek under the nice shiny plastic of each one would show them to be Ryobi engines. There ought to be a law against this becasue you can buy a Ryobi for 89.00. JoeF and I even uncovered the fact that Echo has used Mac engines in some of their tools in the past. At least as far as Husky using Poulan and Echo using Mac one would have a decent tool, just costing more than it should.

Do your homework and you will do well. If you want a low end Ryobi thats fine, just make sure thats all you pay for.

My personal choice would be Stihl followed by high end Husky. Echo isn't available here......Mike

Old 10-13-03, 06:19 AM
How about the Shindaiwa EB480? Any thoughts on a used one? Peace: e3

Old 10-13-03, 06:30 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

I'll let you know how good the Echo PB400E is (replaced by a PB410 now) because I salvaged one last week. LOL.

Mike and I will be getting into this machine a bit and I'm sure will be knowing it inside and out.

I can tell you that the Echo I have uses a Walbro carburetor, WA55B. I'm going to bet it has interchangeable parts with other machines. Echo tells me they made my machine from 1981 to 2001 at which time the 410 replaced it.

As Mike suggested, the big box stores are carrying Echo (namely Home Depot). Of course, Lowes, their competitor won't carry those---they have Huskies.

Seems that Poulan is the value line of choice as they also rebadge for Sears too (257, 358 model prefix items).

Old 10-13-03, 10:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hmmm...Lowes sells Echo in my town.

Shindaiwa has always been a top of the line product, probably about as good as it gets. I haven't seen any of their blowers though...only string trimmers and hedge trimmers. I'm sure it is a good machine, and their prices usually reflect that, lol.

Old 10-14-03, 05:44 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I need to correct something I mentioned in my earlier post here. It was Mac that used an Echo engine in some of their tools. They felt they needed a stronger engine in some cases so they bought the rights away from Echo on an obsolete engine. The way my x-over book showed things I wrongly assumed that Echo was using Mac engines to save some money. BTW, I think Macs are fine engines in their class.

I can also add a fourth weedeater to the line at Lowes that is a Ryobi and it is branded Yard Machines. The bells and whistles are all there on the machines at Lowes but do keep that Ryobi engine in mind.....Mike

Old 10-15-03, 07:14 AM
mabe you need to consider a billygoat type vacume for the acorns. a good blower will move them off of concrete and bare ground, but not in grass. a vac will do a better job. as for brands of blowers, we get lots of life out of stihl and echo products. and parts are usually easy to find.

Old 10-23-03, 05:30 PM
So, what did you finnaly go with?