Belt sizing ???

Old 10-12-03, 05:41 PM
man-d-han
Visiting Guest
Question Belt sizing ???

I recently bought a replacement engine (tecumseh) for my simplicity snowblower. The new engine has a 1" crank shaft as opposed to a 3/4" shaft on the old blown engine. I had the engine pulley bored out to fit the new shaft. One small problem remains, the new engines shaft sits a 1/4 of an inch higher than the old one. That means that I will have to replace the belts with 1/2 inch longer belts to fit the difference . How do I measure the old belts to get the right size? Can I simply cut them and measure them with a tape measure or is it figured another way?Thank You

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-03, 06:25 PM
corect mesure with a tape mesure.

Old 10-12-03, 07:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello man-d-han!

Most belt retailers will have a device used to measure belts, but you can measure it with a tape measure if you like. You don't have to cut it though, just mark it.

Old 10-13-03, 06:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Most belt part #s also have the sizing built into the part # (Dayco and some Gates) and also they have the dimensions in the book.

Call up the Gates Rubber Company, www.gates.com.

You'll get a fellow there named Dan Reilly. Nice fellow. Explain your problem and have your belt there for him so you can give him the #s for it. Dan is pretty stout with this stuff and can get you hooked up.

Only once I got Gates on an application error. They didn't list one of the heater hoses for my 89 Cavalier. I found out the GM# and interchanged it to a part they showed for another application.

Told Dan, and he was like, "Yup! You got us. We dropped it!!" LOL.