Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

To Moderators

MN

10-13-03, 08:09 AM   #1  
To Moderators

Hello Folks,

Tripper here. Just wanted to make your acquantince.

I found this board about a year ago. I had just been layed off and I was a the point where, 'Do I really want to find another job doing what I'm doing?'

I decided to ponder this while doing something that I really enjoyed. I decided to......what else.....gut my basement.

This board was what got me through. Every time I started a phase I would spend some time browsing that category; building walls, wiring them, installing recessed lights, sheetrocking walls and ceiling..........

Anyway, my son and I are into small engines now. He's at that age where he wants cash but is not quite old enough to work.

He's a BMX bikehead...tears them down to nothing and builds them back up. He can turn a wrench. So I said if he wants to make some cash, tune-up small engines. Everyone has at least two in their garage and nobody knows anything about them.

So I found a small engines class in the Continuing Education Program in our community and signed us up. Its all hands on. Between that, and asking questions, and reading, and this forum.....we're getting our arms around this thing.

Since we'll probably be posting some questions on this board, I just wanted to say hi.

I do have a question though. After reading some responses its clear that the first thing you need to do is get information about the engine; model number and such.

Exactly what info should I give?

Tripper

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-13-03, 08:48 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Everything you know about it. Model, serial, type #, trim, what's it's being used on, what's been done to correct the problem, what equipment it's being used on, etc, etc, etc.

In short, post everything and we'll decipher what's not relevant to the question.

I ALWAYS ask for everything in the automotive forum here. Those who provided that are rewarded with faster answers (and more complete ones) because less time is wasted asking questions on engine specifics which should already be furnished in the initial post.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-13-03, 10:15 PM   #3  
Hello Tripper!

Welcome aboard! We'll be glad to help you two out any way we can! It sounds like your son is starting out EXACTLY like I did. Too young to work, but I reconditioned countless bikes, repainting, customizing, etc... I sold who knows how many, and eventually worked up to having 100s of bikes and parts. Then...somebody gave me an old push mower. The rest is history. I even went to automotive and took 2 years of technical training for it, went to work for a dealership and got trained and certified by chrysler, but after awhile I decided to go back to mowers. I just like 'em, and the right job presented itself. After awhile, I quit that job and started my own service. That was a little over 5 years ago. Even if he doesn't go into it as a trade, it is useful knowledge, and you'll be creating permanent memories with your son...both for you and him. (I actually wouldn't reccomend it as a trade anyway...it can be hard to find a way to make good money at it). I enjoy it though, and the more the business grows, the more money there is.

Any info you can provide is helpful, but not always necessary. It just helps take the guesswork out of my part. Sometimes I have to guess about someones make of engine...basing that guess on the symptoms of the posted problem and matching them to the engine that most commonly has those problems. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Another thing about having info is that I can give much more detailed and specific info if I know exactly which engine we are talking about.

Generally, HP and brand of engine will suffice, but model #s narrow down the possibilities, and eliminate guesswork and assumptions. If I know what kind of equipment it is on, it helps sometimes.

We'll look forward to seeing you on the board!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread