Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Carb Diaphram Dilema

MN

10-14-03, 06:42 PM   #1  
Carb Diaphram Dilema

Hello Folks!

OK, we're off and running with the first question.

I've got an old push mower. Briggs Stratton model # 92502 0780-02-80120109

I need a diaphram for the carb that is mounted right on the fuel tank. The guys at our local distributor looked up the # and the book called for a 391681

That wasn't right. They also brought out a 299637 and that also didn't match up.

Both of these had a metal plunger on them. Mine doesn't have a plunger. It creates suction with a flat spring about the size of a nickel with maybe 2-3 turns in it that sits on the tank side (under) of the diaphram. No plunger.

Also, I noticed on some schematics they printed that the carb they were looking at had only one fuel pipe going into the tank. Mine has two.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Trip

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-15-03, 12:52 AM   #2  
Hello Tripper!

I'm not sure what the parts guys were looking up, but you need a part # 495770 as far as I can tell. If your carb is plastic, and has a primer bulb, then that is the part# you need. Hope that helps! It could be that the carb is not original to the engine. I am thinking that by "two fuel pipes", you are talking about one long one, and one short one larger in diameter than the long one, with a screen over it, right?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

10-15-03, 02:53 AM   #3  
Fisher
Have your local guys break out part #270253, that should be the one you need. I will go to the Briggs website and double check
my memory if I am wrong and get back.
Fish

Visiting Guest

10-15-03, 03:14 AM   #4  
Fisher
Your local guys seemed to look it up correctly, but Briggs is not
infallible, or someone could have switched carbs in the last
23 years. Another # to look at is #390834, but my money is on
#270253.
Good luck, let us know, I am curious.
Fish

MN

10-15-03, 02:48 PM   #5  
Thanks for the help!

I'll give it a try and let you know

Trip

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-16-03, 12:11 AM   #6  
I don't have a parts breakdown on that particular model here with me, so maybe the # I gave you is wrong, but It is from a similar model engine...3.5hp briggs vertical shaft engine. I didn't realize until Fish mentioned it that it is a 1980 engine. That would mean that the guys had it right with their first try, but I often have seen where people replace the carbs with newer ones that have the primer. Does yours have a primer bulb?

God bless!

MN

10-16-03, 08:47 AM   #7  
And the winning number is.......270253!!!!

Yee Haw.

Went back to my local store armed with the numbers from you guys and this time an older guy was working. He looked at the diaphram and glanced at the numbers I brought and said, 'Oh yeah, that's a 270253'

And it was.....chalk one up for our side (the over 40 gang)

Thanks to all that replied!

Trip

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-17-03, 01:18 AM   #8  
Glad you got it! Good call Fish!

God bless!

Search this Thread