Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Smoke From Engine

10-16-03, 12:11 AM   #1  
Smoke From Engine

Engine runs perfectly fine. This is the 8HP engine on the Murray. Carb is adjusted as good as its going to get. And, I know the carb is completely clean cause I did it myself some time ago and some time ago I replaced the float and the needle valve. So theres nothing wrong as far as a carb sence. Because its been a while since I heard you explain what the problem determined by smoke color, can you tell me again?

White smoke means?
Black smoke means?
Blue smoke means?

Basically whats going on here is the engine running completely fine I mind you, burns blue smoke when running at idle. What could be the cause?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-16-03, 12:28 AM   #2  
Hello Terminator!

Blue smoke is oil burning

White smoke is water...not usually a problem on small engines unless they are water cooled.

Black smoke is excess fuel...engine running rich.

Blue smoke at idle would be caused by engine wear...mainly rings. An engine overfilled with oil, or with too light weight of an oil can cause this too. Gas thinned oil will also cause this.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

10-16-03, 12:36 AM   #3  
It is true the rings are fifteen years old however I believe that before I learned that SAE 30 was better for your small engine than 10W30. I think I used 10W30. Now I only carry SAE 30 which is the correct oil. Do you think if I did put in 10W30 before could cause this?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-17-03, 01:22 AM   #4  
I have seen engines smoke in warm climates with 10w30, and quit smoking with sae30, but I don't know that it caused the problem. I think the fact that the engine is so old and has lots of wear is why it smokes.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

10-17-03, 01:28 AM   #5  
I agree...

Search this Thread