Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

toro or ariens snowthrower

IN

10-05-03, 08:23 AM   #1  
what kind of snowthrower?

hi

i just wanted to ask a general opinion question about snowthrowers. i have owned one old one that i got at a yard sale a few years ago and it is officially dead. So, I am thinking about getting another one.

at home depot they have the Ariens of differing horse powers and swaths. my question is: are they any good? they are expensive. I have heard that companies make less quality models of their products for sale in the bigger box stores so as to maximize profits. is this true with Ariens?

so, here is the final, down-to-the-bone question: are ariens any good? are there better ones that you know of? should i go with the most horse power and wider swath or is there such thing as overkill?

thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-05-03, 08:47 AM   #2  
mikejmerritt
Try this link

http://www.whatsthebest-lawnmower.co...=wtb-lawnmower

This site is lawn mowers most of the time but they are into the snow blowers right now. Do a search for to much reading.....Mike

Visiting Guest

10-05-03, 08:57 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Considering one of my snowblowers is from 1965 (Sears 6hp/26" cut), I'd ask you,

How is it dead? Likely some TLC will bring it back to life. You could always drop it off to me. LOL.

Mike Merritt and I are restoring a 1979 5/22 Sears machine someone gave me and too said it was "shot". I got it running on the 4th try after taking it, and with some TLC and Mike Merritt's help, I will be blowing snow this winter using both the machines!

IN

10-05-03, 07:27 PM   #4  
joe-f

don't make me jealous. i got the snowthrower at a yard sale. it was a craftsman probably from the 70's. i am trying to learn small engine repair by taking out books from the library. i got it working with a little carburator work and used it one season. then, the next season i couldn't get it going all that well and the vibration made some parts fall off until soon, i just couldn't deal with it anymore.

my hope is: buy new and maintain it as best i can and keep it for a long time.

let me know if you have any feedback on which one i should get.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-05-03, 10:58 PM   #5  
Hello robert smith!

I don't get to see many(any) snowblowers around here (south georgia). I will say that Ariens does seem to be a better machine than many. All I get to see of them is mowers and tillers, but judging by that, it is a decent machine. (above average). Hopefully you will get some input from those who know more about snowblowers!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

10-06-03, 07:25 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Robert:

I've yet to buy any new yard equipment since probably 1998 or so. And that was a Sears yard blower I probably paid half price for.

My guess is that the Sears unit you have needs some attention. As is the case with the one I have. The guy that gave it to me panicked when he poured gas into it and it spilled out. Thought that meant the engine was shot. LOL.

I usually scout the trash or yard sales for non-running equipment and get it running with a little TLC. Just yesterday I picked up a 5 drawer Sears rolling toolchest that the shop up the road from me pitched. I degreased it (it was filthy), cleaned it and straightened it and I have 4 of 5 drawers that work like new, and the bottom drawer can be used for bulk storage.

Not bad for stopping, popping the trunk and throwing it into the back of my 84 Oldsmobile Delta 88, huh?

(By the way, the car was a freebie too). LOL.

Hang in there and don't give up on your old one yet.....

IN

10-16-03, 07:18 PM   #7  
toro or ariens snowthrower

hi

i have narrowed my search in snowthrowers to the following (all are two stage):

Ariens Classic 8-24 with differential and electric start=$1249

Ariens Pro 10-24 w/diff and electric start=$1549

Toro Power Max 8-28 LXE with electric start = $1149.

I am not sure about the Toro though. I just looked at it today but the Quick Stick scares me a little. It seems like it could break easily.

Let me know what you think and where i can maybe get a better price in the Boston area.

and lastly, Joe F. : I really appreciate your philosophy of trash picking and buying used but I can't find a good used one and MOST OF ALL i don't want to inherit any badly maintained machine.

Thanks for any and all opinions you send.

10-16-03, 07:37 PM   #8  
I have seen many snow throwers. And if you are the type of person that wants a electric start modle with a differential wheel system than your best bet as far as quality and price would have to be a Ariens Classic 8-24 with differential and electric start=$1249

If you want a cheap modle without electric start and with a normal transmition, you are looking at $500.00
Joe_F can probably direct you to where you can buy one for that price. But like I said, if you want an electric start modle with differential, with alot of HP than I would go with that Ariens modle.

Visiting Guest

10-17-03, 07:03 AM   #9  
Joe_F
Lol. True. Your money though . I guess with a little searching and garage saling you can find a great machine for half the cost of new.

I cannot see spending 1000+ bones on a new machine. Sears also sells Murray machines (model prefix is 536 (and MTD's, model prefix is 247) quite reasonably on sale, so I would consider them too. I know the 9hp model is under $1000.

The parts support is pretty good from Murray (I am able to order parts for my 40 year old machine from them), and overall, it seems like a decent unit. My neighbor has a 1994 Craftsman 5/22 machine that he bought new and I maintain that for him and it's my 3rd backup machine.

I'd buy an Ariens over a Toro, but that's me. I know people with both. As with anything, the older stuff is usually a bit more heavy duty than the newer stuff.

I have two older Murray/Sears machines. My coworker picked up a tossed 60's Ariens that I flagged him to go grab and I know that he got it running by servicing the carburetor. The actual problem? The carburetor was loose . LOL

I'll have to stick with used because for me, I'd rather spend that money on THREE pieces of equipment over one. The best time to buy a blower is in the summer of course. LOL.

Good luck.

10-23-03, 05:34 PM   #10  
What did you finnaly pick out?

IN

10-24-03, 04:52 AM   #11  
i haven't purchased yet. we got snow yesterday which reminded me that i should buy soon.

i am leaning toward the 11HP Ariens Pro Model. It is a lot of money but as i said, i hope to keep it for a long time.

i figure, if i am going to be spending so much, i might as well go all the way.

Search this Thread