Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Oil in Honda carb

Visiting Guest

10-18-03, 08:45 AM   #1  
Rlfrazee
Oil in Honda carb

My father inlaws honda harmony push mower wont run. When you do get it started it blows blue smoke and runs rough as a cob as they say. Anyhow figured had to be oil burning. A look see showed carb full of oil. Was going to pull cover off top of cylinder but realized this would only give me access to rocker arms and wrong side of the valves. You guys got any ideas. I dont have good maintenance manuals for this honda but good knowledge of small engines in general. Though cant say Ive seen anything set up like this engine....RL

Sponsored Links

10-18-03, 10:09 AM   #2  
Take the carb off and clean it very very well, its to be spotles clean! To do this use cleaner like gumout liquid and gumout spray, along with a clean rag to use in the open sopts. My guess here is that somehow the mower was tipped towards the carberator side and all the oil went into the carb. Once clean, put back on engine and see if you can get it to start. You should also buy a new sparkplug, it would be a good idea. Do all this stuff while you wait for Cheese to reply

Visiting Guest

10-18-03, 11:41 PM   #3  
Rlfrazee
Terminator, you hit the nail on the head. Father inlaw tilted mower wrongly cleaning grass out from under deck. It was couple hours on its wrong side. He is pretty red faced today......RL

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-18-03, 11:47 PM   #4  
Hello RL!

I would check the air filter out...it may be soaked with oil. If so, that is probably why it is running so rough. Replace the air filter if it is soaked, and see how it does. Usually when one is tipped like this, the filter gets soaked and it smokes like a freight train for a little bit, but replacing the filter and running it for a few minutes should burn the oil out of the system and the problems will clear up.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

10-19-03, 06:30 PM   #5  
Rlfrazee
Cheese, you are exactly right. Cleaned carb but mower had typical too rich running symptoms. Took close look at air filter and sure enough it had been saturated with oil but wasnt real obvious as paper just sort of soaked it up. New air filter and good as new....... Thanks RL

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-19-03, 09:57 PM   #6  
Glad you got it going, and we were able to help!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TX

10-20-03, 03:44 AM   #7  
check oil

I have one of these mowers I love it.Check the oil make sure it is full since some of it went to the carb.

Search this Thread