Governer

Old 10-18-03, 02:57 PM
Governer

Hay cheese I was mowing today and I went over a bump and the blade dug in a little, after that it started running funny then it completely stopped. Tried to start had a hard time starting. It ran funny looked at the carb while running and noticed the governer, you know the thing that attaches to the carb throtle, was making the engine go up and down slightly enough to make the engine not run right. Then after bringing back home and running it for a a while it seems to have cleard up. But there is no telling when it will creap up again. What is the cause of a governer to make the engine go up and down slightly or a lot. And why does a engine need a governer? All it seems to do is create trouble!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-03, 04:42 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hey Terminator20, I'll leave the bulk of your question for cheese since you ask for him but I have an experiment for you since you work on these small engines that will forever answer your question " And why does a engine need a governer? All it seems to do is create trouble!". If you have a mower to play with disable the governor and try to cut some grass......Mike

Old 10-18-03, 06:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hehe...yep...it will stall or sling apart, whichever it gets the chance to do first. The governor is not causing any problems...it is actually correcting the problem as good as it can. The carburetor is creating the problem. It either has trash, water, a restriction, an air leak, or is out of adjustment.

Old 10-18-03, 10:25 PM
Thankyou. Good information. Now I know what a governer is for! The next engine I work on I will play around with it.

By the way, what could cause a air leak???

Last edited by Terminator20; 10-18-03 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-18-03, 11:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A bad carb gasket, loose throttle shaft caused by worn carb housing (your engines' carb is notorious for this), or a cracked carb housing.

Search this Thread