green machine

Old 10-19-03, 10:48 AM
green machine

O.K. Here is an update to the Green Machine brush cutter that I couldn't start. I cleaned the carburetor twice and that dang thing still won't start. None of the gaskets and diaghrams were torn or messed up in any way. Once it is warmed up it starts without a problem. Any thoughts? Could I put the carburetor in a bucket of carb cleaner? It is a plastic carb. I made sure that all the holes were clear. As of now I just about gave up. There is no adjusting screws on this carb, only an idle adjustment screw. The only way I can start it cold is with a shot of carb cleaner. Thanks for any help!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-03, 07:52 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hey mower17, a couple of questions. How is the engine primed, with a bubble, butterfly choke or both? With the engine cold and not starting what does the plug look like after you have pulled your shoulder out of socket? Is it dry, wet? Does it run perfectly after you start it with carb cleaner? I would be curious what the compression is on this engine.

I wouldn't soak the carb, sometimes things swell up and are never the same again. The plastic bodied carbs are generally pretty good but sometimes if there is a leak somewhere in the mating surfaces you will not get a true priming flow of fuel when using the primer bubble. If you could find service notes on this carb using the numbers off of the carb they will outline points of service that may help. For instance you could have a plugged low speed oriface throwing everything out of whack, a vacuum leak at the joint in the crankcase, if there is one, causing poor vacuum at the venturi while starting the engine but forcing a start with a fluid overcomes this.

When you have a problem like this its time to bring out the big guns and do carb pressure and cranckcase vacuum tests.....Mike

Old 10-19-03, 09:05 PM
The green machine has a primer bulb and a butterfly choke. I seem to have remembered taking the plug out and seeing it was wet. The engine does run pretty well once started. I did try to check to see if the muffler was clogged with carbon but one of the allen screw heads was stripped and so I couldn't remove one of them.

Old 10-19-03, 09:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Any chance the gas in this thing might be a bit stale?

Old 10-20-03, 12:22 AM
LOL Cheese, that's a good point!!! The trimmer has been sitting in the shop for almost two months. There is no telling how old the gas is, however the other two trimmers that the owner brought started without a problem yet the gas was just as old.

Old 10-20-03, 11:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
With these low-end two strokes, there are soooo many possibilities. Mike named off most things. It wouldn't hurt to try new gas though. I know that bad gas can run an engine, but it can be hard to start one with it. Depends on how stale it is. Will it start while blocking the carb opening with your thumb?