Sears

Old 10-26-03, 01:04 PM
Sears

Howdy fellers,

Got a Sears lawnmower that doesn't run. Model # 917 380542 with a 4.0 hp engine.

I need some parts. Tried the Sears site and the diagram for this model is pretty ineffective.

Does anyone know another website I could go to and get info on this model?

Also, is anyone familiar with a Sears mower.....what a wierd engine. Kind of a low-rider.....the crankshaft can't be more than 6" long. Also has some funky looking linkage...the throttle cable hooks on to the engine on the left side.....but the carb and its linkage is on the right.....when you move the linkage on the left it doesn't seem to move anything by the carb.....wierd.

Anyway, looking for a website...

Thanks.

Tripper

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-03, 01:58 PM
Ha! The linkage on the left is the ground out lever.

I thought it had something to do with the throttle because there is no existing cable that goes from the handle to the carb linkage.

Wonder if it ever had one. There's a red handle that is hooked up to the carb...it has a bunny and a turlte on it...I'm assuming fast and slow.

Tripper

Old 10-26-03, 09:17 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Sounds like an Eager engine and they did come that way as far as the throttle. The part numbers you see at the Sears site for this engine are Tecumseh numbers. Take them and shop around for the best prices......Mike

Old 10-26-03, 09:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Tripper!

I agree... it's a Tecumseh engine. What is wrong? Have you determined why it won't start?

Old 10-27-03, 04:21 AM
Hello,

Gotta go to school/work right now, but I'll post the details when I get back.

Yeah, I found a little Indian head on the fly wheel so I figured it was a Tecumseh.

Thanks for responding!

Tripper.

Old 10-27-03, 09:15 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Correct. And the machine is a "917" (modex prefix) American Yard Products made machine. Frigidaire owns them, and in turn they are owned by Electrolux.

If you call Tecumseh Technical Services, 262-377-2700 they can probably send you a clearer parts list. Give them the "143" # for the engine you find on the Sears website.

Old 10-29-03, 03:43 AM
Thanks Joe,

Yeah, that 143 # makes some sense. I found the Tecumseh book online in Adobe and it says the engine number is stamped on the 'blower housing'.

Wasn't sure what the blower housing was, but I found a number on the shroud that covers the fly wheel....# 143.944006 4138K.

I guess that's the blower housing.

It threw me because that number didn't really match up with any of the numbers in the Tecumseh book...they started with letters and were much shorter.

I guess my main goal is to identify this engine so I can find a picture of the carb linkage in working order.

Someone (before me...really) took it apart and I'm not sure if all the parts are there or how it goes back correctly.

I think that if I can see it in working order I can get it back together (that's the spirit!).

So if I call that Tecumseh number and give them that whole 143#, they should know what I'm talking about?

Thanks,

Tripper

Old 10-29-03, 04:47 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Here is a link to a page a guy created because he had so much trouble with Tecumseh linkage.

http://www.angelfire.com/mb2/visitme.../tecumseh.html

Hope this helps you some.......Mike

Old 10-29-03, 09:18 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The 143 # is the Sears Craftsman model . 143 is the Sears source code for Tecumseh/Lauson Power Products and the rest of the # is the model # of the engine.

Sears is trying to "mask" where the items are coming from. I mean, if you knew where Sears was sourcing the items (110 is Whirlpool, 706 is Waterloo Industries, 315 is Ryobi, etc, etc.) you could go straight to their source. They don't really want that.

(Hint: I skip them and go to their sources for parts )

The trick with Sears is the first three digits of any model # of theirs on a major item (appliance, machine, etc). That is the source code.

Ex: My 1965 Snowblower: 536.82231

536 was Western Tool/AMF (now Murray)
8223 is the Sears catalog item # in the 1965 catalog.
536.82231 is the the complete model # for the machine used for ordering parts.
On that is a 143.556022 engine which as you now know is Tecumseh sourced.

If you call Tec with my 143 # they will say, "Oh yea, that's our H60-XXXXXX (whatever)"

Ya, if you give that to Tecumseh they will translate it to a Lauson #. They are really the same thing, except that Sears knows it as their # (the 143 #) and Tecumseh as H60, HS50, etc.

Tecumseh will be able to help you out---they have been supplying Sears for YEARS with their engines and work side by side with them.

Old 10-29-03, 06:59 PM
Mike,

Wow, that linkage site is EXACTLY what I was looking for...thanks a ton!

Joe,

Great advice and clarification on the Sears Covert Cover-up. Doesn't surprise me.....I was talking to my dad and I said, 'Well I'm sure they put the same engine on all the mowers of that model.'

He laughed at me.......

I'll call Tecumseh and see what happens.

Thanks again you guys.

Tripper

Old 10-30-03, 06:58 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Hey Mike:

The 1988 AYP/Sears (recycled) I'm running at my granddad's we talked about is that machine with a few different graphics.

It's a typical "917" AYP machine.

Search this Thread