Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh OHV engine

12-16-03, 02:59 AM   #41  
Yea, Cheese, I saw that picture before. I also noticed that it was on the SMALL engine section. LOL.

Well I uploaded my picture to my test website so here goes.

[url][url]

Last night I was thinking that the physical location of the compression release mechanism makes it manipulate the exhaust valve, not the intake valve. I noticed that when I got the engine apart. I was lead astray by the books I was a read'n.

I noticed that instead of a picture I got a hyperlink to a picture.
Below and off to the left is a small box labeled "Forum Rules"
On mine it says [IMG] code is OFF. I presumed that option would keep me from getting a picture into the post. I've been unable to change that option, so far. I've tried changing it in the 'options' section and clicking on 'YES' in the [IMG] code part, but that doesn't seem to change anything.

Last edited by jughead; 12-17-03 at 05:11 AM.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-16-03, 10:02 PM   #42  
I thought I could get it to show, but I can't even find the picture. I found your test site and looked for it there, but couldn't find it there either. Did you remove it?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

12-17-03, 05:15 AM   #43  
OK, cheese, try clicking on the link now. I know is was working before, but I was trying to get it to display in my post and for some reason the .JPG portion got dropped at the end so the server didn't like the address. I edited the post this morning and it works now. I'll be working on the engine again this AM and hopefully be able to report what I find later today.

12-17-03, 04:48 PM   #44  
Well, the engine seems to run a lot better. It was running OK at 3500 rpm today. I can't yet get the carb quite right, but it's coming along. I'm sure that it will move snow now. At the moment I'm getting some backfiring through the carb and sometimes there's a nice flame shooting out from it when I throttle back suddenly. I'm letting the engine cool down and tomorrow I'll check the valve lash again while everything is cold. The valve lash has a big effect on the way the engine runs. At least things are looking up. It is also confirmed that the compression release on this engine is on the exhaust valve. My service manual is for several models and I think that some of them have the release mechanism on the intake valve just as is shown in the manual. If I carefully watch the exhaust valve you can easily see it open just slightly as the piston comes up on the compression cycle. I don't feel as the engine is getting the best of me any longer.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-17-03, 07:11 PM   #45  
Sounds like you may have it licked. I saw the pic. Looks like either carbon hot spots or predetonation.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread