Wizard two speed tiller

Old 11-01-03, 04:02 PM
Wizard two speed tiller

I have an ancient tiller that is so worn that you can't read any of the specs except that it has a Briggs and Stratten engine. I haven't used the tiller in several months, maybe a year. I had it worked on becuase it wouldn't start last year. I am not sure exactly what was done to it but it has a new spark plug and a few other parts. The gas and oil were drained and I filled them up today. It almost started a couple of times. I fiddled with the choke, and the little "knob" near the oil intake. I just couldn't get it to start. I waited ten minutes in case I flooded it two times, but never got it running. Any ideas? P.S. I'm a girl and don't know much about engines although I am a big do it yourselfer.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-03, 08:08 PM
Take the sparkplug off and keep it on the wire, touch the sparkplug to the engine block and pull the rope and see if you get spark. If you don't get any spark, replace the sparkplug. If you do get spark than it may be just another problem. Do this while to wait for Cheese to reply.

Old 11-01-03, 09:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello bibbus!

I agree... find out if the spark plug is firing, try a new one if not, and let us know what you find. We'll help you from there.

Old 11-02-03, 11:04 AM
I hope I don't get electrocuted! Have no experience doing this type thing!!!

Old 11-02-03, 01:08 PM
If your afraid of getting electrocuted, than just where rubber gloves. Its important to know weather or not the engine is getting spark before moving onto other areas of the engine.

Old 11-02-03, 01:34 PM
Well I thought the spark plug would unscrew but I couldn't get it off. I could only get a little connection on the top pulled off. Can you be more specific about how to remove the spark plug? I tried to use pliers to twist it but it didn't move.

Old 11-02-03, 01:43 PM
needles
Visiting Guest
Get a socket and a ratchet to take it off. The sparkplug size is probably 13/16,it has to be a deep socket,so it will reach the points down at the bottom of the plug.

Old 11-02-03, 09:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It won't electrocute you, but it could shock you mildly. Just don't touch it when you try to start the engine (even with rubber gloves). That is the only time it has any electricity. It is removed with a socket and ratchet as mentioned.

Old 11-03-03, 03:18 PM
needles
Visiting Guest
How could it shock her when the engine is off and nobody is trying to turn it over? Just take the wire off the plug,and take it off with the socket and ratchet. If you rip the wire off the sparkplug WHILE the engine is running you'd get a nice zap.