craftsman leaf blower starting problem

Old 11-08-03, 11:04 AM
kwebster
Visiting Guest
craftsman leaf blower starting problem

2 yr old craftsman 25cc leaf blower. Never had any starting problems before. Ran it on and off for about 3 hrs last week and it died. Couldn't restart it. Did manage to restart it with great difficulty a few days later but it slowly died after about 10 min. ( When it dies it doesn't just cut out, it slowly fades away.) So far, I have drained the gas/oil and put in new, replaced the spark plug and verified that there is a spark. Cleaned the air filter. Shot a little fuel into the carb and it still does not want to start. What to check next? Also curious about how the kill switch works. It doesn't look like it is an electrical kill switch because I continue to get a spark regardless of its position. How does it kill the engine? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-03, 12:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not sure which blower you have (who made it for sears and what model) but if it doesn't start when you shot a bit of fuel into the carb, it could be several things. Is there a chance that there was no or too little oil mixture in the gas? Does it have compression? Is the cylinder loose? The exhaust could be restricted, it could be flooding, etc..

The kill switch should be electrical, but there are some that are not. They just allow the throttle plate in the carb to close fully to shut down the engine.

Old 11-09-03, 03:06 AM
kwebster
Visiting Guest
I think it's a poulan. Model number starts with 358. I was running it prior to this on the same premixed tank of gas with no problems. I usually get through the fall on a single 1 gal. tank. it's a 40:1 mix. I also mixed up a fresh batch and tried it. So I think we can rule out the gas. I'm beginning to see why people leave these things on the curb
I'm also amazed that there isn't even a section for small engine repair in my phone book. I called one of the bigger power equipment dealers and they don't work on stuff like this.
Funny thing is that for years I stayed away from anything from SEARS. I got this and it worked so well, and started so easily that I went out and got one of their string trimmers too. I guess I'll be posting about THAT in the near future.

Old 11-09-03, 05:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pretty much all low-end trimmers and two stroke engines are short-lived and basically disposable. You can probably fix it...check the easiest things mentioned first, and work towards the hardest...might find the problem right away! Have you changed the plug?

Old 11-10-03, 06:30 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
257 or 358 prefixes are yes, Poulan made for Sears. The former was Paramount which Poulan owns now.

I can't see why a Poulan dealer wouldn't work on it. Yes, some of their stuff is low end, but I'm sure something dumb is probably wrong here.