Toro S-200 no start

Old 11-10-03, 02:08 PM
Toro S-200 no start

Hi

It is an oldie 1981 Toro Snow Blower S-200 model #38120 2 stroke Tecumseh. It has spark, the fuel line was swelled. I cleaned the fuel tank, replaced the line. I also replaced the diaphragm, cleaned the needle and seat, removed the low and high speed jets and cleaned them. Cleaned out all the passages I could see.

It will run if I pour some gas down the carb. I adjust the jets ( that maybe a problem) it will idle, accel and run high speed no problem. Shut it off and it will not start without pouring some fuel down the carb.

Thanks for any advise

Larry

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-03, 03:15 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Larry,

My uncle has one of these, slightly newer than this '81 and a couple of things

1) The primer bulb rotted out making for one helluva a cold start. The bulb is $3.00 at any Toro dealer.

2) I'm a little confused. Will it stay running when you stoke it with fuel or only run a few seconds and quit?

I have a Tecumseh shop manual and I can get you the pages by fax if the book has it and no else replies here.

Old 11-10-03, 03:52 PM
Hi Joe

Was doin a little trash shoppin and found it. LOL

It will stay running once started. Will not restart when hot or cold without priming . Thats how I was able to adjust the jets. What is the proper procedure for adjusting them?

The primer bulb seems ok. I pinched the hose and the bulb holds pressure.

Just played with it again and was able to start it by pumping the hetch out of the bulb.

What # spark plug is it suppose to have

Thanks

Larry

Old 11-10-03, 09:42 PM
If I remember it correctly from cheese, you let the engine idle and adjust the low speed screw until it runs smoothly, then run the engine wide open and adjust the high speed screw until the engine runs the fastest.

Old 11-10-03, 09:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hi Larry!

I don't see many 2-stroke tecumseh engines down here where I live (mostly found on snowthrowers, and we don't get any snow to mention)...but... it does sound like the primer is not pumping enough fuel into the carb throat. Some primer systems have check-balls that allow the primer to pump fuel only one way, and if these are sticking or coated with crud, it won't pump fuel like it should. Alsoyou might pull the bulb out and check the passages to be sure they are clear.

Mower17 has the adjustments right, ecxept that when you reach the highest possible speed when adjusting the high speed screw, you are running too lean. At the highest speed, keep backing the high speed screw out until the engine begins to flutter, then you should be about right. Running it too lean will burn up a 2stroke.

Old 11-11-03, 03:02 AM
Thanks for the reply guys,

Found out which is the correct plug- RJ 18Y. It had a CJ 8 in it. Will see if that makes any difference.

The primer bulb on this seems to just pump air on the back side of the diaphragm. Other 2 stroke equipment I have the bulb contains gas. When you squeeze the bulb on those you feel like (and can see) your pumping gas. This one is just pumping air. You can see gas flowing in the tank when you pump it.

Thanks for jet adjustment procedure. I did have it correct, just wanted to make sure.

Any ideas where the best place to get parts?

Thanks again

Larry

Old 11-11-03, 06:10 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Proper plug is an RJ18YC according to Champion. Gap is .030"

Best place for parts: Mike Merritt of this forum. LOL.

Any Toro dealer will stock anything for this machine---very common in our area Larry.

Last edited by Joe_F; 11-11-03 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-11-03, 08:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Larry:

Mike Merritt and I were just talking on the phone about this machine this morning and I tried to go to the Toro Master Parts viewer with Mike on the other end of the phone, but it was not working.

If it comes up, you can go to www.toro.com and pull up the parts list for the machine.

What is the model # of the engine in this? I believe it's an HSK series Snow King 2 cycle, but I can't remember .

Kindly post the engine model information if you can or see if the Toro website breaks it down.

Last edited by twelvepole; 01-05-04 at 04:11 AM.
Old 11-11-03, 08:49 AM
Thanks Joe,

Yesterday when I came home with it the first place I went to was Toro's parts viewer. Great site I've used it before. Thats how I knew it was a 1981.

Well today I changed to the correct plug and played with the carb adj so starts and accels smooth. So far so good.

BTW: there will be no snow in the NY area! This summer I bought a real nice 4WD exra-cab fully loaded Toyota Truck. I forgot to mention it also came with a Sno-way 6 1/2 ft plow! So with two snow blowers and a plow we should have a quiet winter!

Serial # 1002193
Model# 38120

Says it is a Tecumseh

Larry

Old 11-11-03, 08:55 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good job Larry. Another one saved from the dump.

Yes, I know your quandary. I have two snowblowers now. LOL. A 1965 (yes, 1965) and 1979 Sears Craftsman.

The former I bought for $180 off a guy in NJ and will eat snow for snacks. The machine is a tank and virtually unstoppable. They even have nicknames:

Murray is the '65 (Murray made it for Sears)
Murray Jr is the '79.

LOL

The latter I was going to buy for $100 from the guy the day I got the '65, but I passed. I dropped a note in his mailbox in the spring asking about it and he offered it to me free of charge.

With a little TLC on the '79 (missing a few small parts, Mike Merritt is on those for me), I will have a $700 machine free of charge to use at my grandfather's property.

As I have said time and time again, half of my yard equipment is from the curb. People throw out some great stuff as you are seeing. LOL.

Good luck and let us know how it works this winter....

Last edited by twelvepole; 01-05-04 at 04:06 AM.
Old 11-11-03, 09:19 AM
I do the same thing with some of my lawn equipp.

I have a 20 year old snapper mower that is on it's 3rd engine! Anytime some throws out a Snapper I pick it up for parts. The only thing I buy new is blades, belts, oil and air filter!

The last engine I got is a honey. My dad bought an MTD with a 4 hp B&S that he hardley used and didn't like the mower. Used that engine with the crankshaft and crankcase from my Snapper that was burning oil and loosing compression. Runs like a top and it was 4 years ago.

Larry

Old 11-11-03, 09:29 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I do the same thing (curb shopping). That's what my 84 Oldsmobile 88 with the big trunk is for . LOL

(BTW: That car was a freebie too. LOL)

I've recycled in the past couple of years:

1) 1979 snowblower as noted above. Started on the 4th try using the electric start.

2) 1988 Sears/AYP 20" lawn mower. My neighbor jammed the starter cord, pitched it to the curb. I grabbed it, unjammed the cord, tightened one loose wheel, fired it up and was waving to him cutting my lawn with it that SAME night. LOL. 5 years later, I STILL use that every week to cut the lawn at my grandfather's. It runs like a champ and starts on one pull of the cord.

3) 1987 AYP Sears which now sits on the 1979 AYP Sears body I had. I hit a tree stump in 1992 with this '79 and lunched the engine pretty good. Saved the body and now it's a 1979/87 combination. Clogged carburetor was the reason it was thrown out.

4) Two Shopvacs, a 1981 era 700A and a 2001 Ridgid WD0800 8 gallon job. The 700A worked by cleaning the filter and plugging it into the wall. The WD0800 I got a new motor at NC from Emerson and in a 1/2 hour I had a $75 machine for free.

I just used the 700A to vacuum the stairs in my house yesterday. It will run all day and would suck up anything in its path. LOL

5) 1981 Toro Power Shovel---same neighbor as the '88 AYP. I greased the gear case, fixed the trigger and walah, I have myself an extra power shovel.

6) 1989 Paramount/Poulan made Sears blower. I took out the jammed ball bearing from the high speed switch and walah, one complete yard blower.

7) In 1980, my late father bought a B&D hedge trimmer for $3 from a guy at a garage sale. Said it stopped working in 1979 and was not worth fixing. My dad changed a brush, rewired a broken wire and it's been cutting the hedges at my house ever since.....

8) Two Craftsman toolboxes thrown out...Both sit in my garage now, cleaned and ready for another 30 years. LOL.

9) The '84 Oldsmobile Delta 88 I drive is a recycle too. LOL. Saved from a junkyard in 1996, it passed the NYS dyno test with ease and you can't even hear the motor run at idle it's so smooth.

There are plenty of others, and I could go on, but ya get the idea. I love the challenge of fixing something another person has given up on. LOL.

I like to hear people share similar stories.

Last edited by twelvepole; 01-05-04 at 03:56 AM.
Old 11-11-11, 07:06 PM
Throttle linkage configuration on S-200

Could anyone take a photo of the throttle linkage on the s-200 Tecumseh showing which holes the governor spring and governor are connected? I took it apart and forgot to document it.

Old 11-12-11, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by Mogman8 View Post
Could anyone take a photo of the throttle linkage on the s-200 Tecumseh showing which holes the governor spring and governor are connected? I took it apart and forgot to document it.
Mogman;
The thread you posted on is 8 years old, you might get better response if you start a new thread. Have a good one. Geo

Search this Thread