Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Solenoid problem

TX

11-11-03, 01:05 PM   #1  
Solenoid problem

Have a Mtd. garden tractor with a Briggs 18.5 HP engine. Starter has only been turning over the engine sporadically. Most of the time when you turn the ignition to start, nothing happens. Solenoid has three terminals on it, one from +battery, one to starter, and last is a small gauge wire to ignition switch. If I disconnect this small wire from the solenoid and attach a volt meter to it, it will read 12 volts when I turn the ignition switch to start. However, when I reconnect it to the solenoid and try to read voltage I get zero.
Jumping from battery+ direct to this same terminal will turn the starter as it should.
What's my next step?
Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links

11-11-03, 02:00 PM   #2  
If I were you I would replace this small gage wire. Most likely that wire is worn out. I have noticed through experience that small gage wire does not last as long as battery terminal wires. But, cheese will be here to give you a second opinion.

TX

11-11-03, 06:03 PM   #3  
Thank you Terminator,
I should have mentioned that when I jumper between the ignition switch and the solenoid the same thing happens. It worked well for a few times and then nothing. Reads 12 volts with ignition turned to start when not connected to the solenoid and no reading when connected.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-11-03, 11:43 PM   #4  
Hello msabot!

What you are describing sounds exactly like a bad ignition switch terminal. Unplug the switch and look at the main power terminal. I bet it is rusted up pretty bad. Clean the rust off and try again. Let us know what you find!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TX

11-19-03, 07:54 AM   #5  
Thanks Cheese!
Your idea about the ignition switch "hit the nail on the head". The terminal was so corroded that it could not be cleaned so I replaced the switch and all-is-well. Thanks again.

11-19-03, 09:20 AM   #6  
Great Job!!!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-19-03, 10:56 PM   #7  
Glad we could help! Thanks for letting us know how it went!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread