belt tension adjustment

Old 11-13-03, 03:31 PM
Question craftsman mower adjustment

I have a older model craftsman riding mower, 12 horse brigs,38 " cut.
My problem is I thought the nelt that runs the blades was old and stretched because it was real floppy and wouldn't run the blades because of slippage, so i replaced the belt and still have the problem.

How do i adjust the tension on this belt.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-03, 09:27 PM
In order for us to help you better, it would be a good idea if you told us what kind of pto clutch you have. Do you ingage the blades via lever, or do you flip a switch. What is probably happening is when you engage the pto, the pullies are probably not grabbing the belt hard enough. Please let us know if your pto is electric or manual. Cheese has more knowledge about pto clutches than I do.

Old 11-13-03, 10:03 PM
It is possible if this is a manual clutch on your deck the pivot for the clutch idler is binding. Clean your deck and lube the deck clutch arm where it is attached to the deck. Make sure it moves freely.

Roger

Old 11-13-03, 10:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Wade!

Easy one...look at the blade pullies. Each one has an arm with a brake pad on it that rubs the pulley. Follow those arms to the center of the deck. Under each arm is a roller. Remove them and replace them, or they may just be stuck and need lubricating. Also the part that moves in the center of the deck may need lubrication. Engage and disengage the blades while watching the piece in the center of the deck move. You will see where it pivots on a bolt. Spray this area liberally with penetrating oil. This should get you going again. Let us know how it goes!

Old 11-14-03, 04:19 PM
Fisher
Visiting Guest
Post your tractor's model numbers so we know what you have,
and can even view a blowup online, and can give better suggestions.
Fish

Old 04-07-04, 01:47 PM
wwc
Unhappy need more help please.

thanks for the help but i still can't figure it out.
hey cheese, what do the rollers look like?
I followed the arms with the brake pads on the pulleys and it leads to a bracket where both arms hook into, but there is no "roller" all there is ,is a bracket that has another bracker that swivels on a rod mounted to the deck.
everything seems to move freeley but i can't find and adjustments to tighten or move. all the cotter pins are in and everything seems to be connected.

The model no. is 917.254520
craftsman 12 horse.

Old 04-07-04, 03:19 PM
help for wade or wwc!

You have a simple mower deck. Areas of concern are as follows: The idler arm and pulley (Items 29 & 31 in attached file). There's only one and it's towards the left front of the deck. Be sure these are free in movement. Be sure to check for idler pulley bearing noise. Ideally you should remove the link and spring to assess these, that way you eliminate any other trouble.
Next are the deck hangers/pivots, particularly the rear two which commonly rot out from the deck.
If any of these items are questionable this is likely your problem.
Incidently, to correct you about the belt. Belts don't stretch, they wear (on the sides). With this wear the belt will set deeper in the pulleys and give the impression of stretching. When a belt stretches...It will have two ends.

PS. Sorry, the attached file is too big for the site to allow. Just be sure to look toward the front left of the deck.

Old 04-07-04, 04:51 PM
Unhappy

thanks puey61, sometimes i have trouble logging in and i had to make another name to log in sorry for any confusion.

I found the idler arm and pulley,your right there is only one so i couldn't mistake it. It is free in movement and the bearing seems fine, no wobble or tightness.
the deck hangers are clean and are attached good. this mower was well taken care of and is stored in a shed always and there is almost no rust anywhere.

Is there anyway to adjust the tension on this belt.
anymore help before i cant find the shed for the grass growing,lol.
thanks

Old 04-08-04, 01:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hi Wade!

The rod that goes to the idler arm from the engagement lever has a threaded end that is used to adjust belt tension.

Old 04-08-04, 11:43 AM
Wade:

Could you post the model number of your tractor so we know what tractor you have. I believe Cheese is thinking you have a newer model then you have. On the older 38" mowes the deck clutch rod is not adjustable.

RogerH

Old 04-08-04, 01:06 PM
model no.

here is the model number again from the post towards the top
The model no. is 917.254520
craftsman 12 horse.

Yes its a older model so there is no treads on the rod.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 04-08-04 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-08-04, 09:38 PM
Wade:

I have increased the spring tension on these decks by changing the way the spring attachs to part #45. Part #45 has a slot in it and part M which is a bolt and some washers hold the spring in the bottom of that slot. If you take part M out and reposition the spring to the top of the slot and put M back in it should put more pull on the spring.
If this don't work call your Sears Service Center and ask then to check to see if there is a Service Flash on this problem. You will need to give them your model number and they should be able to check on they're computer. Good luck.

RogerH

Old 04-09-04, 12:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Roger is right...I thought it was a newer model. (although the design is not new...they've been making them that way for over 10 years). So yours does not have the rollers I mentioned previously, or the threaded rod. Check the rear deck brackets to be sure they stand up straight. If they have moved, or given enough to allow the entire deck to move forward a bit, it will cause a loose belt.

Last edited by cheese; 04-09-04 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-09-04, 05:16 AM
Go and buy yourself a new spring - part# 108250X and install it and then check belt tension.

Old 04-10-04, 08:20 PM
thanks

Thanks i'll try to reposition the spring first.
I was waiting for a reply from this site but it didn't let me know anyone had replyed since last time i checked ,it usually sends me a email.
Thanks rogerh, i don't have a schematic or drawing of the parts to know what exactly part #45 and m are but i'll look around from your description.
back to the drawing board.

Old 04-11-04, 01:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
For a diagram, go to www3.sears.com

Old 04-15-04, 04:45 PM
Unhappy thanks

Thanks guys and to rogerh, I did change the location of the spring and that fixed it and i mowed a good path to the shed and around the yard half way and then it made a bug bunch of noise under the deck and i drove it back to the shed to have a look under the deck and found that the left blade shaft bracket that bolts to the deck is broken and now that blade is loose as a goose swinging on the shaft.
I think i'm gonna have to look into a new mower.
I might try and see if i can find a used piece to replace it because i don't want to spend too much more on this one, (the aggravating thing,)lol.

Whats your opinions on rear engine mowers compared to tractor type mowers of the same size i have now ( 12 HP ).
thanks

Old 04-15-04, 04:50 PM
Tractor mowers are built much better and you can have a smoother ride on them. Rear engine riders give you more visibility at the front, but at the cost of quality and smooth ride. Plus rear engine riders have a max deck sise of 30 inches. Tractors can go from the standard 38 inches up to 62 inch decks. Plus tractors of higher quality have large horse power engines. The max you will ever find on a rear engine rider would be 13HP. Let us know what you decide. Good prices in JohnDeers L and LT line for residental use tractors.

Old 04-15-04, 10:05 PM
Wade:

Check out the link below if your interested in repairing the old mower. I am pretty sure this is the same jackshaft that Sears is selling for $75.00 and it should fit your mower.
The rear engine mowers like your asking about are very light duty. If you have a flat yard and never let it get overgrowen you may be satisfied with one. I believe I would say with the tractor type.
Good luck.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...1049&langId=-1

Rogerh

Old 04-16-04, 03:57 PM
thanks

yep thats the broken piece roger.

i think after all you all have said that i will stay with a tractor type mower if i decide to buy another.

I'm feeling alittle less agravated today and might try to repair what i have for alittle longer,lol. But all i need is a little more trouble from one of them suckers and it's gone,lol.

I dug out a old murray from Kmart i bought several years ago and got it going today after about two hours of foolin with it and replaced the battery and jumped the starter switch to get it going and got the grass cut today.
Then i remembered why i had it put away because the deck adjustment lever is broken and i had to rig up the proper height and just like before it cuts uneven if i run in third gear but it cuts level if i run slow in 1st. or 2nd.
Any idea what causes that.

Old 04-16-04, 05:53 PM
The faster you go the more the deck will shake up and down and side to side. Thats why mower that have 7 speeds do not nessesarly need to mow at that speed. On a 7 speeder, I will go 5 speeds. On a 5 speed, I will go 3 speed. It might not cost much to fix your deck adjustment lever,knob

Old 04-17-04, 01:46 PM
Thanks terminator, yes i need to probably do some much needed work on these mowers, all the litttle things are catching up to me.

As if i need more things to do around here,lol. But at least i found the shed in the grass yesterday,lol.