Gravely garden tractor, won't start.

Old 11-17-03, 11:41 AM
Gravely garden tractor, won't start.

Hello. I have a Gravely riding tractor model 8122. When I started it up and pulled out of the barn it quit all of a sudden!! I checked the fuse and it had blown (30amp). My neighbor had a bag of fuses he bought at a flea market sale (new). He gave me one to try (20 Amp). I put it in but there is absolutely no sound or anything else when I try to start it, like a solenoid clicking or something. What do you guys think? Can a new fuse be bad even though it appears new? Open for suggestions and things to try
Battery is charged up and new. I just put it in last spring with a through cleaning of the terminals.
This tractor is 20 + years old. I bought it used.
Changeling

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-03, 12:02 PM
Forgot to add, Engine is a 12 hp Kohler. Up until now it has run absolutely awesome! No miss fires, rough idling, nothing! I checked all connections such as the starter, battery, and coil and all were tight.
I am going to town tomorrow, and will get "another fuse" just in case the new fuse was bad somehow.
Changeling

Old 11-17-03, 05:11 PM
I have gotten a blown fuse before due to short circut. Heres what you need to do. First, if the orginal fuse was a 30amp than only use that type. Second, when a short circut happen to me, it was because the starter wires had gotten pinched and because of all the weight, it caused the insulation to open and expose the wires. It not only blew my fuse, but it also melted the starter wires and it burned that battery down. I suggest after you install a 30amp fuse to also check all the wires. If the wires are all ok, then put a volt meter on your battery and see if it reads 12 volts. If it does not than you need to charge your battery. If it does read 12 volts than you need to check your cylinoid. Cheese can instruct you on how to do this if necessary. Do these steps while you wait for Cheese to reply. Let us know how it goes.

Old 11-17-03, 07:36 PM
Yes you should definiately put back a 30 amp fuse. However, you should have still heard something even with the 20 amp fuse in. To blow the fuse, you would have had to have a short somewhere. And if a bare wire was still touching something it shouldn't have then right when you put the new fuse in, it would have blown it too. If you own an ohm meter, you should be able to find the short without a problem. First, do a visual inspection and look at each wire and see if any are pinched or touching anything hot or sharp to where the bare wire would be contacting any part of the frame or engine.

Old 11-17-03, 10:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Changeling!

I would install the correct fuse, and go from there. You probably have a wiring problem. You will need to trace the short or bad connection (follow current along each wire until you find the fault). Did the new fuse blow too?

You should have power to the starter switch. If you don't, check the fuse holder. The contacts may have burned up. If not, trace the wire containing the fuse holder back until you reach the power source. Somewhere along there you should find the problem (bad connection, burned wire, etc...).

Old 11-18-03, 12:12 PM
I don't have a new fuse yet, hopefully tomorrow. How do I check the wires if it is not the fuse?
Changeling

Old 11-18-03, 12:46 PM
the blown fuse is pobably a short, but if the 20 amp fuse didnt blow when you hit the key it is probably intermitten. you may have a bad safety swith. could be the nuetral swith, orthe seat switch.

Old 11-18-03, 06:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Use a test light or voltmeter to trace the voltage through the wires. I'm not sure what we are checking for just yet. Put a good fuse in it and check for power at the fuse. Let us know what you find.

Old 11-22-03, 02:51 PM
Cheese, I put the new fuse in (30), no go, nothing! Is it possible for the fuse holder to be bad? There is a " BIG" lever on this gravely that controls the forward and backward direction of the tractor. This lever must be in the neutral position to start the engine. I guess this is some sort of "start" safety, could this be it? Lost! How do I check?
Changeling

Old 11-22-03, 03:04 PM
I should add that I have a cast on my left hand, so fixing things are a little ruff (very slow), but I am going to wrap it in a trash bag tomorrow and try to fix my truck (new plugs and clean some parts). If I can get to it I will unbolt the cowling from the tractor and see if I can get to the fuse holder and safety switch.
Changeling

Old 11-22-03, 11:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It could be a hundred things. That's why you'll need to get a test light or voltmeter and start tracking the wires for voltage. The fuse holder could be bad, and checking for voltage from the power source through the fuse, through the ignition switch, safety switches, solenoid and starter will tell you where the problem is.

Old 11-23-03, 02:37 PM
Cheese, this has been the day from hell! My neighbor rented a "Ditch Witch" for running wire underground to his new 3 stall garage. While he had it he doug a trench from my house to my barn and layed the wire for both! I didn't get a chance to work on the truck or the Gravely!
However, one thing is very clear, untill I get this cast off my hand there is very little I am going to be able to do.
Take care, Changeling

Old 11-23-03, 08:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
We'll be waiting to hear from you. Hope your hand recovers quickly!