OHV vs L head snow thrower engines

Old 11-17-03, 04:05 PM
V
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
OHV vs L head snow thrower engines

According to another member there have been problems with OHV engines.
Can anyone shed some light on this? Please don't respond with how long you have had yours with no problems. I'm looking for repeating problems with either
Both companies have these newer OHV engines failing at a wild rate from what I see. That includes the Tecumseh 5-6HP and the B&S 5-6.5HP as well as both companies larger engines. Far to many B&S OHV come in smoking lightly all the way to smoking so badly you can't keep a plug in them. If its not a head gasket its time for an engine. I have at this time four Tecumseh OHV 5-5.5HP engines on the floor, all four locked up. Whats up with that I don't know. Don't see the Tecumsehs smoking as much as the B&S but they loose their rods and sieze far to often. When I look across my engine bone yard its amazing how many nice new looking larger HP red top B&S engines there are with a few Tecumseh but given Briggs large market share that fits.
I plan on getting a 7hp Ariens OHV but question if it is the right move. I know they are cleaner and suppose to be quieter and run smoother, but just how much is the question also.

Old 11-17-03, 10:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Most of the problems I see could have been prevented with proper engine care. I answered this with a little more detail in one of the other threads in which you asked this question. Maybe someone else has more to add.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: