briggs trouble

Old 12-08-03, 10:31 PM
Cheese, you may not beleive this, but I got it to run!!!!!!!! I had ground a small amount off of the valve stem again and lapped the valve two more times, one the first pull it sputtered, I brought it outside and hooked the water to it, and it started on the first pull without the choke. It ran PERFECTLY!!!!!!! Now it really puts out some pressure, it must be about 2000 psi. Unfortunetly it started right when it was time to go home, but tomorrow, I will put the air filter on, bolt the engine to it's cart, fine tune the carburetor, and run that engine for at least 20 minutes!!!!!!! Thanks so much for the help. Now tomorrow, I will mess with the surging engine, but at least that one starts easy. Thanks again!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-03, 10:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Awesome! I knew if you concentrated on that valve enough...!!! I guess it wasn't bent, huh? Or if it was, it was just a thousandth or two, above the stem, and lapping compensated for it. Glad you got it running.

Old 12-09-03, 09:43 PM
Well Cheese, for three hours I pressure washed the cement around the shop cause there was oil that collected for thirty years and it came right off. I had to clean all three tips and now it works just like a brand new one!!!!!!! It is a little hard to start but that pump sure does put a strain on that engine and that briggs takes the load perfectly, no surging, it doesn't bog down, nothing. Just one last question, what type of oil and how much oil am I supposed to put in the water pump? I put 15w-40 motor oil in it and I put in about what drained out, probably about 1/5 of a quart. We have motor oil, hydrolic oil, and gear oil to choose from. I am very pleased with it so far. Also, how can I check to see how much the old head gasket is leaking? If it is leaking too bad, then it will have to be replaced, but if it isn't, then we will leave it as is. I want to make sure I do everything right with that pressure washer cause today when running it I didn't check to see if there was a rubber gasket where the garden hose connects and the teacher went and checked cause he said if there wasn't one, he would have kicked me out!!!!!!!!! Luckily there was one and he appologized . Thanks again for the help!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-10-03, 12:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure how much or what kind...it depends on the pump and the manufacturer. Most of them use SAE 30 engine oil. Many have a sight glass with a full mark so you can tell when it's full. If the head gasket is leaking, you will hear a chirping noise while the engine is running. If no wierd noises, then it's probably not leaking. A tip for making starting easier...start the engine first, then turn the water on. Just don't let it run more than a few seconds before turning on the water, and never let it run for over 1 minute without pulling the sprayer trigger and letting it spray water. The pump is cooled by the water that goes through it, so if you don't spray, the pump overheats.

Old 12-10-03, 05:02 AM
jlm
Visiting Guest
Question

I was just curious as to the status on this machine? I have been following the on going story and hope you got it running. Any update?

Old 12-11-03, 12:41 AM
Thanks for asking. I got the pressure washer to run just like I want it to, perfect. And the other engine runs very well now. I thought I just about had everyone bored by now!!!!!!!!! I am glad I was able to get an old peice of abused and neglected equipment to run light brand new. I had found out that the trouble with the pressure washer was a valve that had impropper clearance and needed to be lapped, and the other briggs I had slowed it down a bit with the governor spring and now it runs wide open very smoothly and doesn't surge. Thanks again for everyone's help and advice through this month long project. I hope I didn't bore anyone . Now after the holidays, I believe I will be working on a farmer's 3-53 detroit that has low oil pressure, and helping another student on a 6-71 detroit overhaul, now that's what I call a project . Diesel, exhaust, noise = fun !!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by mower17; 12-11-03 at 09:49 PM.