Handy man idiot can't start Craftsman 9 HP Snow Thrower

Old 11-22-03, 07:24 PM
Art
Visiting Guest
Handy man idiot can't start Craftsman 9 HP Snow Thrower

Ok, here's the set up. I'm a complete imbecile when it comes to anything handy around the house. I can build you a computer if you'd like, but, engines blow me away . Enough with the plesantries.

Two years ago I purchased a Craftsman 9 HP Snow Thrower. Last year to start the winter, just before the first storm, I went out to start the thing and it wouldn't start. It's a push start and it would chug and make noise but it would never catch. After talking to some people at a hardware store we decided to put a new spark plug in. Damn thing started up right away.

So, today I'm outside trying to get it started again, a year later. First storm on the way. Same issue. Wouldn't start. So, I got a new spark plug again which I thought was odd since I had to use the thing twice last year. But it wouldn't start even with that. Again, it chugs and chugs but never catches.

My guess is there's something a non-imbecile could do to make it go. My guess is someone here will tell me the answer and it'll be easy even. Except, when you tell me something, I'm not going to know what you're talking about, so, if you do answer, could you describe what you're talking about. Like, I really, honestly, have no idea what a carburetor is. I know my machine has one. I know you guys talk about cleaning it out here on this board. But, I don't know what it is. I see a gas tank. I know that .

I see when I move the choke a little metal valve moves down there. And when I move the throttle something moves. That seems to be good. I see a metal thing that blows foul smelling smoke. I have to guess that's the carb, but, maybe that's like the muffler or it's just there to taunt me, I can't be sure.

There's probably stuff underneath this beast, and I can probably figure out how to use a socket wrench to undo stuff if you tell me to. I'm just asking that if anyone answers this plea that you be patient, descriptive, and know when you are in my neck of the woods, I owe you a beer. Beer is the universal language of both beggars, like me, and guys who know stuff, like, I hope some of you.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-03, 08:07 PM
Art your problem is the gas in your carb. has turned to varnish over the summer and pluged some very small holes in it. The carb. needs to be taken apart and cleaned.
Your engine is most likely a Tecumseh 9 HP. If you would go to my profile and send me a e-mail with your e-mail address I will send you a copy of a Tecumesh Service Manual in a PDF file. That will give a lot to study about your engine and you may be able to figure out how to correct your problem.

Roger

Old 11-22-03, 09:15 PM
Art
Visiting Guest
Message on the way. Thanks Roger. Though, I know for sure it's not a Tecumseh engine. I know this because I had the opportunity at the time to buy either the model I did, or the EXACT same model with the Tecumseh engine. I chose the model I did because the Tecumseh one had wheels and mine has a tract so mine is way more b!tchin.

Old 11-22-03, 09:47 PM
Art
Visiting Guest
Maybe this will help. I looked up Craftsman models on line at Sears. Here is a picture of a model that is similar to mine. Again, I know I don't have a Tecumseh engine, but, this engine looks very much the same.

Now, next to the gas there's a metal thing. And, then there's another metal thing further over. Is the metal thing in the middle or on the far right the carb? I've been undoing screws in any case, but nothing is readily moving to this point .

Old 11-23-03, 12:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Art!

The "little metal valve" that moves when you move the choke is part of the carburetor. The bowl is also part of the carburetor. It is held on by a bolt on the underside of the carb. I looks like what it is called... a bowl. Remove it and clean it out and spray carburetor cleaner through any passages that you see in the carb, and reassemble. See if that gets you going. Be careful using carb cleaner...wear safety goggles because it hurt when it gets in eyes...and it always seems to find a way to shoot right back at your face and in your eyes.

Old 11-23-03, 07:57 AM
Art
Visiting Guest
Ok. Someone else told me the carb was where the throttle went to not the choke. It's all so confusing. I've taken off several screws so far off the top, now I'm on to the sides.

Old 11-23-03, 01:32 PM
Art
Visiting Guest
That appears to have done the trick Chris. Some fuel removed, the bowl was emptied and new fuel put back in and after about 30 minutes, everything started and ran perfectly. Thanks for the help all.

Old 11-23-03, 08:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it going! Thanks for letting us know how it went.