Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

thirsty tecumseh

Visiting Guest

11-25-03, 05:02 PM   #1  
jocelyn pouliot
thirsty tecumseh

my problem is simple, i can't fix carburators... i have a snowthrower carb that i took apart a few months ago, and since it was summer i put off fixing it till now, cause there is now the trouble is i can`t get the gas to stop leaking out of it. When i dismantled it, i poured all kinds of stuff into it, such as penetrating oil to disolve the gum...and it made more gum, but i cleaned it the best i could and even changed the needle and seat, still when i connect the fuel hose to it and open the valve, gas comes out through the bore. oddly enough though if i take off the bowl and turn it upside down with the hose connected to it, the weight of the float is enough to stop the fuel flow. so if anyone has ever heard of anything like it, please send me some information...even a diagram of the carb itself might help me figure it out. thanks!!

Sponsored Links

11-25-03, 05:39 PM   #2  
Sounds to me like the float needs adjusting. When you take the bowl off of the carburetor and turn it upside down, the float should be just a tiny bit above level with the body of the carburetor. It is probably set to high, which would make the float come up in the bowl during use but would keep the needle from seating. To adjust the float, just bend the tab that the needle connects to. Hope this helps!!!!!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-25-03, 07:30 PM   #3  
Hello jocelyn pouliot!

Another thought is that maybe the float has fuel in it. (common tecumseh problem). Take the float off and shake it near your ear. Does it sound like there is something in it? If so, replace it. Let us know if that's it or not, and we'll go from there if we have to. (check the float level too, as mower17 mentioned).

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

11-26-03, 03:49 AM   #4  
jocelyn pouliot
just in case

i don`t know if my first reply went through so here it goes again. i already checked the flaot level and it`s ok, in fact i lowered it and it's still the same. I also listen for gas in it, then layed the float in a cup of gas and it doesn`t leak, better yet, it floats. My next step was to put the whole carburator without the float bowl in the cup to see what is going on in there, and if it still overfill, i hope you guys have an answer for me, cause i`m totaly lost . When i replaced the needle and seat i installed the seat with the groove towards the top of the carb as i thought that`s what the dealer said, is that how it goes ?

Visiting Guest

11-26-03, 08:39 AM   #5  
jlm
The groove side goes into the hole in the carb. The needle rests on the ungrooved side.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-26-03, 01:25 PM   #6  
Correct. Did you push it in all the way with a blunt smooth object, like the blunt end of a drill bit? When you removed the old seat, did you clean out the area before installing the new one? Sometimes little pieces of the old seat stick to the carburetor and stay behind when you remove the old seat, and they cause the new one to leak.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

11-26-03, 06:47 PM   #7  
jocelyn pouliot
no so thirsty tecumseh

Finaly , i got it !! I took this thing apart again, took it downstairs in the comfort of home, made myself a large float bowl and connected a water hose to the fuel inlet. I cleaned everything like new, reinstalled the needle seat, wich i think was the problem cause at first it didn`t feel like it was seating properly. Now when i let the float weight drop on the needle, i can feel it kind of sticking when i lift it back up. Anydoodle, i assembled it , ran water through the inlet and droped the carb in a larg bowl. I could see the float rise to a nice level then water stopped flowing. You should have seen the grin on my face
Thanks a lot everyone. Whether it's your technical knowhow or your moral support, you did a great job !!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-27-03, 12:32 AM   #8  
Glad you got it!

God bless!

Search this Thread