Kohler engine identification

Old 11-25-03, 05:45 PM
Question Kohler engine identification

I was given a 150 amp Lincoln portable welding machine with a Kohler engine. I disassemblied the carburetor (Walbro which was full of red varnish) cleaned it out as best I could. Put it back together and it runs fairly well. I feel like it could stand some rebuilding...the only thing is, I am unable to find any numbers anywhere on it. It is a pretty good sized horizontal shaft engine, L head...8 - 12 Hp? Dose anyone have any idea how I could at least find out what type it is?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-03, 07:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Jack!

Sounds like you have an old K-series kohler....really good engine. Normally these K series kohlers had an identification plate on the blower shroud on the carburetor side of the engine. Try looking for stamped numbers if you can't find an ID plate. If none, you may have to use alternate methods to find out what engine you have. There are things that are common to only one or two engines...for example, only the K141 and K301 have adjustable valve tappets, so if you have adjustable tappets, we know we have one of these two. Then we could measure bore size and figure out which one it is. Cylinder head bolt patterns can help ID an engine, or at least narrow it down a bit. Let us know what you find, we'll help ID it for you if we can.

Old 11-27-03, 05:44 PM
Cheese,
I've pulled the valve cover off and it looks like there are adjustable valve tappets...there is a nut at the bottom of the valve stem and the tappets have two flats machined on them. I was looking at a great web site, http://www.kohlerengines.com/service_manuals.html (page 20), and the best I could tell, these adjustable valve tappets are on series K241, K301, K321 and K341. It seems that my next step would be to pull off the head and measure and measure the cylinder size (to narrow it down futher) (page 1.6).

Old 11-27-03, 08:06 PM
Cheese,
If you will send me your e-mail address, I've got some pictures of this engine that might help.

Old 11-30-03, 12:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I sent you my email address in a PM. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, the holidays got busy!