Starting Problem

Old 11-26-03, 09:55 PM
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I am SO over this darn mower!

I have a Craftsman self-propelled mower - purchased in 1998. It has worked fine up until late this summer, when it would not start. So I took it to a repair shot - they cleaned the carburator, and all was well. I only used it a few times after that, as I killed all my grass in early September, and reseeded in October. I now have lots of green grass, and it is beyond ready for a mowing. I filled the mower with gas, and primed the pump - and got a bad feeling. The little bulb that you push to get the gas in would not respond as it normally does - it kinda just sat there, and slowly slowly popped back out. I tried and tried, and cannot get the bulb to pump well enough to get gas. Naturally, the mower won't start. I hate this. I am single mom with no time to be taking stuff back to the shop all the time. Is it time for a new mower?? If so, what is the most reliable brand?

Old 11-27-03, 12:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello Yardnut!

Sounds like you're just having a hard time with that thing!

I wouldn't say it was time for a new one though...it may just need a new primer bulb. As for what brand mower is most reliable...well, it's hard to say. So many brands are made by the same people, so many have different brand engines. My personal favorite engine on a push or walk-behind mower is a Kawasaki. Mowers with Kawasaki engines usually run close to $450.00/$500.00.

I think you could get some more use out of your mower though, for a small repair bill. Or, you could do it yourself! We can help!

Hope that helps!

Old 11-28-03, 09:51 AM
Not sure how the bulb would be the culprit - wouldn't it just pop right back out if that was it? I guess I am thinking that if it was leaking, there would be no suction at all. It is staying in when I push it - and sloooooowwwwly easing back out - with no gas. I hate to even ask - what is involved in replacing the primer bulb? - I searched online and found no info on that particular type of repair.

Old 11-28-03, 06:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
check this site

Go to table of contents / lawn mower basics / a primer on priming
it'll give you some good insight. Then browse some of the other topics. Good luck!!

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lmfaq.htm#lmapp

Old 11-29-03, 12:04 AM
Thanks. But I didn't see anything there on how to replace the primer bulb specifically. Any clues?

Old 11-29-03, 05:21 AM
buttlint
Visiting Guest
Yardnut,

Could you tell us what type of engine this is? Briggs or Tecumseh? Can you find a model type and code of engine? It makes a difference on what type of instruction we give for fixing a primer. It could be as simple as replacing a gasket on some types, or it could be more difficult and best taken in to a shop on others.

Old 11-29-03, 09:19 AM
"Could you tell us what type of engine this is? Briggs or Tecumseh? Can you find a model type and code of engine? "

It is a Craftsman mower - and I don't think it is either of the engines you mention. Someone on this forum, in an earlier post, said that it was an AYP engine. The model number is 917.377530.

Old 11-29-03, 10:36 AM
buttlint
Visiting Guest
Yardnut,

Just for your future referance, you have a Briggs engine, model 12h802 2675-E1, (If you ever need to buy parts)

If it is getting cold where you live, (40 degrees or less at night) those primer bulbs tend to get stiff and wont pop out like they are supposed too when they have a few years on them. (they will work fine in warmer weather.)

Its not the easiest thing to replace the bulb if you have never done it before, but not impossible.

You could replace the air filter base, which has the bulb included.
You could take the base into the shop and have them replace the bulb.
You could try it yourself. (it looks easier than it really is)

Which ever way you go, make sure you remove the old gasket between the carb and the base, and even use 2 gaskets (#272653) when you replace the cover. (those covers tend to warp and make it difficult to get a good squirt of fuel.)

Or bite the bullet and take the thing into the shop. If you are happy with it and it is good shape, a bad primer is no reason to pitch it. But if the handle is starting to bend up, and the wheels are splayed out from a weak deck, you might consider a better quality mower, like a Toro, Snapper, or another premium brand.

Like Cheeze said, there are all types of options in mowers. Which is the best for your particular needs and budget is something you will have to research.

Hope this helps a little. 'lint.

Old 11-29-03, 09:57 PM
Thanks. I just put new wheels on it this summer, and it is in good shape - I've always cleaned it well after every use. I would prefer to try and do it myself - the logistics of getting it to the shop are just to much for me with everything else I have to get done! I have no clue what part is what as far as the engine goes. I know how to replace the spark plug and the air filter - that's about it. Are there any sites that give a good "how to" with pictures?

Old 11-29-03, 11:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Yardnut,

You can remove the air filter and cover, and remove the three 5/16" head screws that hold the black plastic piece with the primer bulb. This piece has the primer bulb in it. When you get it off, you will see that there are tabs on either isde of the bulb. Depress these tabs while pulling the bulb out, then put the plastic ring with the tabs over the new bulb and push it back in until the tabs lock. It is easy to see how to do it once you get to looking at it.

Old 11-30-03, 04:14 PM
Thansk cheese. I will give it a shot - as soon as I find a replacement bulb that is!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: