OHV Briggs and Stratton

Old 11-29-03, 02:05 PM
OHV Briggs and Stratton

I have a Briggs and Stratton, M - 28N707, t - 0160-01, c - 9411074A which was under water for eight hours. I've gone into everything and all looks good. The only question I have is, the cylinder has a cast iron sleeve in it and it had some signs of rust in it. So I ran my Ammco hone through the cylinder in an effort to smooth the bore up. There is one spot, about 1/3 the size of a dime that it appears that it may have some type of coating on it, that appears that it might fleak-off. What I was wondering, is there some sort of chrome coating on the sleeve? I put a new compression ring in it and got a 0.014" ring eng gap...according to the factory the cut off is 0.030".

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-03, 11:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Jack B.!

Yes, you can and should hone the cylinder if you are installing new rings. The ring gap sounds good. There is no coating on the cylinder. Hone it enough to get a good cross-hatch pattern of hone marks, but don't worry about rust discoloration and trying to get it out. As long as there are no pits of significance or places that will flake, then it will be fine. Let us know how it goes!