Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Another No Spark Question

12-05-03, 09:56 AM   #1  
Another No Spark Question

Hi everyone. Got a Kohler K241 on a Colt tractor. I had replaced the points on it, and after about 30 hours, it would die out after it got good and warm. I could keep it running sometimes by applying choke, until the last time when it backfired and that was it. Checked the points, and they were fried (REALLY fried!). Put in new points and condenser, made sure the gap was set at .020", and it fired up fine. After running about 15 minutes, it backfired, quit, and now I've got no spark. Cranks great, but that's it.

Points look good, gap is correct (as near as I can tell), they are opening just when the SP mark on the flywheel goes by the sight window. I can pull the plug and ground it against the block, and there is nothing when I crank. There is just a little spark across the gap when I turn the key from the "run" position to the "off" position. The plug was changed with the first set of points, and I noticed is pretty black.

I'm not sure what to try next. Any ideas? Could it be a problem with the coil? I also thought maybe the carb needs a good cleaning, but that wouldn't explain the no spark condition. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeff

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-05-03, 10:40 PM   #2  
Hello Jeff!

Have you checked the trigger coil air gap? It should be .005" from the magnet on the flywheel. It sounds like it may have gone bad. The fact that you get a spark when you cycle the key tells me the coil is fine.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

12-06-03, 06:26 PM   #3  
Trigger coil air gap? Well, that's a new one on me. Gotta say I have no idea what that is, or where to look, and I don't have a magnet on the flywheel that I know of. I've not seen it mentioned in my manual anywhere. Can you give me any insight there?

Thanks for the help!
Jeff

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-06-03, 11:53 PM   #4  
Do you know what year engine you have? I haven't tinkered with many Kseries engines lately, but the K series engines from somewhere around the early 80's and earlier had what they called a trigger coil. It was a magneto type ignition system. If you don't have a magnet on the flywheel, and have an external coil, then you have a battery type ignition system. If you have an external coil, I would start checking to be sure the points aren't shorting to ground through a bad spot in a wire, or a connection touching ground. If not, I would suspect the condenser.

God bless!

12-07-03, 09:46 AM   #5  
Thanks, Cheese. I should have said that this is an early-60's tractor and engine, with the battery type ignition system. I can't see that the points are being grounded anywhere. I'll give the condenser replacement a try and see what happens, that's a cheap start.

Thanks for the help!
Jeff

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-07-03, 09:26 PM   #6  
Anytime! Let us know if that did it or not. If not, we'll go from there. The condenser is basically what makes a strong spark. The coil will spark without the condenser, but it will be weak...like the one you see. You may also want to check the kill wire and the ignition switch just to be sure they aren't shorting to ground.

God bless!

Search this Thread