Ariens Snow Blower/Tecumseh Engine

Old 12-05-03, 06:26 PM
glenj
Visiting Guest
Ariens Snow Blower/Tecumseh Engine

True to form, we in the CT are ready for the first blizzard of the year and I didn't pre-test my snow blower...Mistake #1...

Anyhow, when I tried to start it (with a fresh tank of gas), it will only run for a few seconds when I spray starter fluid directly into the carb. I took out the plug and sprayed that down and a burst in the cylinder chamber..still no luck....doesn't seem like it's getting any gas at all.

Any suggestions? We are supposed to get 8" to 18" by tomorrow night....

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-03, 10:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello glenj!

Welcome to the small engine forum!

On the bottom of the carburetor, there is a bolt that holds the bowl on. Remove this bolt. There are tiny holes in it, make sure they are all cleared out. There may be as many as 4 holes...2 opposing each other in the side near the head of the bolt, one tiny one toward the end of the bolt, and one down the center. Clean out the bowl as well. This should get you running. Let us know how it goes!

Old 12-06-03, 10:45 AM
glenj
Visiting Guest
Tecumseh Engine

Cheese,

Thanks for the tip! cleaned it out but still no good...took down the carb to the engine cylinder and sprayed around everything...still no luck...now I need to find a diagram (or advice) that shows where the tension spring attaches to the linkage...and the governor (?) rod.

One end of the spring is attached to a bracket attached to the carb but the other end is closed and I don't see a stud or lever that the spring end would slip over... seems to build tension between the governor bar and the carb throttle...

Any help would be appreciated....

Thanks!

Old 12-07-03, 12:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is fuel getting to the carb through the fuel line? Is the carb bowl filling up? If so, still carb problems.

Old 12-07-03, 10:34 AM
I have limited experience with snow throwers but I had a problem similar to yours. The important question, as asked by Cheese is: is there gas in the carb bowl?

If there is, then it is carb problems or a lack of spark from the plug. If there is no gas in the bowl, it could be the screen is plugged that allows gas to go from the tank to the carb. Or, the needle on the float is stuck in the closed position.

good luck.

Search this Thread