New Toro Snowblower - Throttle Sticking

Old 12-07-03, 09:48 AM
newman
Visiting Guest
Unhappy New Toro Snowblower - Throttle Sticking

Greetings,

Here in CT we just had our first winter storm. My ancient John Deere snowthrower suffered one too many failures and I decided a week ago to purchase a new small single-stage 2-cycle Toro snowblower. Always had good luck in the past with Toro. The Toro is small, light and easy for my wife to use.

Right off the bat on it's maiden voyage, I ran into troubles. The throttle shaft is sticky and the governer spring can't open up the throttle as the revs drop under load. I took the plastic cowl off of the back (gosh...lots of plastic in here) and was able to clear the driveway by periodically poking the top of the throttle linkage when it stuck closed. After a bit it would surge at idle and eventually it ran decently but I noticed when I shut off the engine I could still manually stick the throttle shut. The shaft is surrounded by a plastic sleeve and I put a dot of lubricant at the top hoping it might run down. Is there any easy way to unstick this or should I just drag it down to the dealer (remember, it's a few days old)?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-03, 09:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Andy!

I think I would return it for repair or replacement. It could be a bad tolerance in the carb throat and throttle plate, or a number of things. A new carb should have no reason or ability to stick. I think if you happen to get it to quit sticking, it won't be for long.