Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can't start tecumseh engine snowblower

Visiting Guest

12-07-03, 10:49 AM   #1  
rickc5
Can't start tecumseh engine snowblower

We just got 15 inches of snow. I have a 4 year old snowblower with a tecumseh 8 HP engine. I believe the snowblower is from Murray. My engine started and I was able to clean 1/2 of my driveway with the gas I had from march. My snowblower stopped because it ran out of gas. I was able to refill my tank and clean the other 1/4 of my driveway and then it abruptly stopped. I've been trying to start it ever since. I think my ignition is ok because I can see a spark when I take out the spark plug and try to start it (it is a very black though). I tried it with the choke fully to the right and left but with no success. I tried starting it at high and low power also but with no success.

I did get three successes with the choke fully to the right and low power. The engine ran for about 30 seconds and quit the first time and the second/third time it ran for 10 seconds and I switched it high and it quit. Ever since these three successes, I haven't been able to get the engine going.

I have no clue what a carburetor is but I figured it is something important and is related to the gas and air mixture. I saw in the engine manual (5 pages) that there is a carburetor bowl. I closed the fuel valve and pushed the bowl drain to empty it. I reopened the fuel valve, primed 3 times until gas was dripping out, and tried but still no success.
Next, I saw a bolt at the bottom and unscrewed it and managed to take out a bowl. The inside of the bowl looked OK, I just used some bounty towels to wipe it dry and clean.
I tried again to start it but no success.
I'm trying to get this fixed myself if possible because the snowblower is so large that I won't be able to take it to a service center. It won't fit in my suv and I have 1/4 of the driveway to go.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

12-07-03, 05:29 PM   #2  
Because you mentione earlier that your spark plug looks really black, it could be possible your sparkplug is really chared up, probably due to oil burning. The first thing I would do is replace the spark plug. If you still have a problem that is probably is the carb. But lets not not jump 5 steps ahead of ourselves. Replace the spark plug and let us know how it goes.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-07-03, 09:16 PM   #3  
Hello rickc5!

Try this: remove the spark plug and squirt a little fuel (1/2 tablespoon or so) into the hole and reinstall the plug and try to start it with the choke off and at full throttle. If it starts and runs for a second and dies, you have a fuel problem. If not, there may be other problems. Changing the plug never hurts. Let us know what happens.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

12-08-03, 06:07 PM   #4  
rickc5
It starts!! Replacing the spark plug did the trick. I was shocked that it works and relieved that I don't have to lug this big thing to get it fixed. Time to finish the rest of the driveway

Thanks Everybody!!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-08-03, 09:45 PM   #5  
Awesome! It's always good to change that plug, but so often it doesn't fix anything. Every once in a while it does the trick!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Group Moderator

NC

12-13-03, 05:24 PM   #6  
I've always had trouble with old gas. My Tecumseh carb. would gum up quickly if given old gas. I'd give the carb. a good cleaning.

I started running my blower on 100LL (low lead) Avgas toward the end of the season. You get it at the airport. It's expensive (about $2.50 a gallon), but it never varnishes up. I never had carb. problems after I switched to Avgas.

Search this Thread