B&S 5hp questions.

Old 12-07-03, 10:00 PM
Houston Terrell
Visiting Guest
B&S 5hp questions.

Hi guys i got this Old b&s in my garage and trying to figure out a few things about it. Its not sparking enough first of all. I took off coil and cleaned and while doing this i pulled off a 10ish gauge wire that goes to case. points im guessing. do i have to get new coil now? dont see a way to put it back no the coil like it was. also there is a 14ish gauge wire from the case to no where.. i dont know where this wire would go. HELP!! heh

Old 12-07-03, 10:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello Houston Terrell!

Sounds like it is an old engine with points as you suspected. The best reccomendation I can make is to forget the coil you have, forget the points, and buy a new or used coil for your engine that has solid state ignition. This is far better, more accurate, efficient, and very reliable. You'll probably never have ignition problems again. If you are decided on using the old points, let me know and I'll help you get the old system together.

Old 12-08-03, 02:09 AM
Houston Terrell
Visiting Guest
heh

I just tore into it last night, figured i really want to just rebuild it with all new parts. I am not in any hurry to get it all back togther. This is first time with a small engine for me so its a experience heh. Well first full rebuild. I have it all apart, well all but the pipe which is rusted on and cant seem to get it off. I also dont know what year model this engine is... and i only THINK its a 5hp... could be smaller or bigger not 100%sure but i think its 5hp....Ill keep posted on my first experience heh

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: