Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh engine will not idle

Visiting Guest

12-07-03, 03:55 PM   #1  
Custom7man
Tecumseh engine will not idle

Hello, I have a v70 tecumseh engine. I am having a problem getting it to hold an idle. It has excellent spark, and while I do not have a compression tester, it appears to have great compression. When I bought it the carb had an object stuck in the fuel inlet, I removed it and got it running, but it idle very rough, so I purchased a carburetor rebuild kit from my local small engine repair store. After installation of the items in the kit, it will start quickly and only run when I have the trottle atleast half open. I have tried adjusting, the needle valve at the bottom of the float bowl, it will lower the idle for a few seconds and then stall right out. The adjustment needle on the exhaust side of the carb. (the only other adjustment) seems to do nothing to the engine when adjusted. Also while running there is a small amount of black smoke indicatiing flooding and the exhaust does smell rich... If you have any ideas, they would be greatly appretiated

Thanks Tim

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

12-07-03, 04:11 PM   #2  
Hello and Welcome Custom7man to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and the Small Engine forum.

If there is black smoke coming out of the exhaust, that indicates the carb is flooding the engine. Too much fuel.

Possible causes are the float level is too high. The float is adjusted level to the carb body. When the bowl is removed and the carb body with the float attached is inverted, the float must be level to the carb body.

The needle may not be fully seating or opening up too much. The engine has to be running fast to over come the extra volume of fuel being allowed into the engine. If not the engines floods and dies.

Replace the needle and seat, check the float lever and be sure the float does not have a hole in it. If the float contains fuel inside it, it has a hole and must also be replaced.

Check the pin that attaches the float to the support bracket. If the holes on the support bracket. If they have pitt marks or a build up of corrosion, etc clear them out. Clean the pin.

Also check the vent hole in the top of the carb body. If that hole is plugged, clear it but do not enlarge it. Use a pin and a can of crpessed air to blow out the hole and all internal fuel passages.

Most likely I haven't covered all of the possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may be able to offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Suggestion:
Read the already asked questions and the replies offered in them on this same type of engine running problem for additional help & information. Doing so will provide additional possible causes and the solutions to correct them.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically & keeps all communications in this one thread.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Small Engine Forum Moderator.
"Accurate Power Equipment." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.

Search this Thread