Want to make snow plow for lawn tractor

Old 12-09-03, 04:13 PM
weasel
Visiting Guest
Want to make snow plow for lawn tractor

That's about it in a nutshell. I have a 12hp Noma ( Murray ) and would like to find out any ideas for making a plow. I have some thoughts in my head, but were wondering if any of you have made one. I am not sure if I would like it articulating or not, but it definitely had to go up and down. Maybe rig something with the deck raising\lowering handle ?? P.S. I would like it to be out of metal. They tend to last a bit longer ... So if anyone's got any plans, help !!!!

TIA,
Derek

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-03, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
I'm afraid a 12 hp Murray (or other Wal-Mart type) tractor just is not up to the task of pushing a plow.

For such a small & light tractor I'd keep the plow as simple as possible. I'd probably just have a single hinge point at the front of the tractors' frame and manuaully raise & lower it with a lever and mechanical linkage.

Once you've built & installed the plow you will need to give your tractor some traction to move the plow. I'd get some tire chains and bolt on a lot of weight over the rear end. This all comes at the risk of killing you tractor. You probably can't do too much to hurt the engine, but you will likely kill the transmission, clutch, drive belt or something else in the drivetrain.

Old 12-14-03, 11:57 AM
weasel
Visiting Guest
Don't worry, I wasn't planning on plowing the whole road with it !! All I want it for is to level off the driveway. If it is too much of a strain, then I'll remove it. I did up a drawing in AUtoCAD for it though. It is as you described. Single point and articulating as well. I just have to figure out a way to hook it up to the deck lever for raising and lowering. Then find time to build it ..

Old 12-14-03, 04:16 PM
Group Moderator
You could use springs to balance the plows weight as close as possible. Then do a simple linkage to you mower deck (raise & lower) lever. A split shaft collar on your deck lever would be an easy way to securley attach and still be removable.

Old 12-15-03, 09:07 AM
weasel
Visiting Guest
I don't suppose you have any drawings of this ? I just can't seem to visualize it in my head ( where the springs would attach to the mower .. )