Toro 724 7hp Tecumseh Carb Probs

Old 12-12-03, 05:16 PM
SteelPanther
Visiting Guest
Toro 724 7hp Tecumseh Carb Probs

I have a Toro model 724 snowblower with a 7 hp Tecumseh engine on it. Ran fine last winter when I went to fill with gas this winter, gas came pouring out of the little copper tube by the choke. I tried to take off the bowl to see if the float was sticking but, the float seems to work when i raise and lower it by hand it does shut off the gas when raised all the way up. Im nto quite sure what is causing this but if I turn the gas on the same problem occurs, gas pours out fo the copper tube at a rapid pace. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-03, 06:19 PM
buttlint
Visiting Guest
Steel,

Your float may be filled with fuel, or you may have a piece of crap between your needle and seat. 'lint.

Old 12-12-03, 06:33 PM
SteelPanther
Visiting Guest
Hi Lint thanks for the suggestions. When I ahd the bowl off I examined the float pretty well, no holes etc and didnt sound liek there was any fuell inside, how do I go about checking the needle &seat?

Old 12-13-03, 12:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pull the needle off and look at the pointed end of it. It should be clean and smooth with no discoloration. Did you remove the float and shake it? Does it float? If it has a hole, it probably won't be visible.

Old 12-13-03, 06:23 AM
buttlint
Visiting Guest
Steel,

Like Cheese said, but sometimes its just easier to replace them. #631021. The real way to test them is with a pressure gauge and the carb off and upside down. Just a little chunk of garbage sticking on the seat will allow it to leak. Because it is unlikely that you have one of these testers laying around your house, its just easier to replace it. (not that expensive)

When you took the bowl off did you notice any junk laying on the bottom of it? When you look in your fuel tank is there any garbage there? Is your fuel line all soft? Is the inside of your carb discolored? Is your float height correct? Has the bowl any dents in it? (the float will hang up on a dent sometimes)

It may be easier to remove it and take it in for a rebuild, or rebuild it yourself if you are inclined. There is plenty of help around here, or a service manual is not that expensive (someone might even email you the PDF version)

Good luck, keep us posted.

Old 12-13-03, 04:21 PM
SteelPanther
Visiting Guest
Hi all. Took off the carb cleaned everything top to bottom. Everything was shiny brass on the needle etc. no discoloration. I did adjust the U shaped peice on the float the pushes the needle valve shut. After this I turned on the gasoline tot he carb and success no more overflowing, the float just wasnt closing the needle valve all the way, but now she runs fine except for a little sputter and backfire at times. But I think the motor is just getting tired as it must be around 15 years old.

BTW I did see a post somewhere on how to hook a light up to a snowblower if the is a red wire coming out of the engine. I do have a red wire but i do not know how I would hook up a light. Any tips?

PS. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by SteelPanther; 12-13-03 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-14-03, 08:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the wire is coming from underneath the flywheel, then it is a power supply that you can connect your light to. Run it to a toggle switch, then off the other side of the switch to the light, and ground the other wire of the light, and there you go. It should power most any fog-light or similar light. Don't know what size alternator you have, but I think it's safe to assume it will put out at least 4 amps, probably 7.